Author Topic: Boosey & Hawkes archive.  (Read 243 times)

jonnycuba

Boosey & Hawkes archive.
« on: December 07, 2020, 12:19:16 AM »
Hi everyone,

came upon this place again and was prompted by some questions asked in threads about reels and vinyl etc. A few years ago I was privileged to be involved with Who Sampled's Samplethon, we have dug into the libraries of Bruton, KPM and Cavendish. Whilst the big boys have paired their stashes down to a couple of neat record shelves, Boosey & Hawkes still had their original archive intact in Holborn central London. I visited it twice before the contents were eventually shipped out to secure storage in an industrial warehouse unit in the sticks.

Both of my visits were giddy experiences digging with glassy eyes, high on the damp particles that pervaded everything inside no doubt.

An LP was eventually crafted from excavations in the archive and were published by Cavendish you can find it here:
https://2nxmusic.bandcamp.com/album/my-boosey-weighs-a-ton

A two part article about my second and final visit where I was joined by graphic designer Darrell Krum who did the artwork for the LP and photographer Simon Ashton on DJ Food's excellent blog:
http://www.djfood.org/soundsci-at-cavendish-music-part-1/
http://www.djfood.org/soundsci-at-cavendish-music-part-2/

I hope you enjoy my peek into a netherworld that no longer exists.

Jonny.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 12:21:15 AM by jonnycuba »

stackjackson

• Administrator
Re: Boosey & Hawkes archive.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2020, 03:22:57 AM »
Great to have you here, Jonny. Welcome. Marvelous photos and sound excavations.
| Stack |

Retronic

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 07:48:41 AM »
Nice one, Jonny.  I was very jealous of your trip down into the Boosey archives and Iíve loved all the releases. I love Boosey & Hawkes because itís less celebrated and had more unknown material.  Do you have all the tracks from the Samplethons?  Both the Boosey & Bruton had other tracks I liked that appeared on (I think) SoundCloud but didnít make the vinyl cut. 

jonnycuba

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 06:25:33 PM »
Thanks Stackjackson, Iím not mad deep in the library vinyl game, peers such as Mark B, The Creators and Jonny Trunk took it the next level, however Iíve dealt with a few of the bigger libraries and made some music (legally) that was fun to put together. Of the libraries Iíve had access to my favourite is Boosey and Hawkes/Cavendish. Whilst KPM has the bold in your face funky cues all big guns blazing and Bruton has tonnes of now popular synth washy grooves. B&H incorporated some really classy modern classical elements into many of their compositions. Less obviously funky than the other libraries B&H classics have more edge in my opinion. It helps that Iím a huge fan of film noir jazzy scores! Retronic, Iíll have a look and see what bits I have of other entrants tracks and report back.

Peace

Jonny
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 06:27:10 PM by jonnycuba »