Author Topic: Upload services  (Read 346 times)

Snowdog

Upload services
« on: October 08, 2020, 06:15:44 PM »
Hi all.

So far I'm finding that most uploads are done via Mega, Zippy or Mediafire, with a few others thrown in.

Zippy & Mediafire are good as gold but Mega is constantly throwing up "over limit" warnings, even when it's been long over the allotted wait time.

Is it worth getting an account? It's not expensive, but can it be trusted?

I'd be much more inclined to send someone a link to a cloud based storage folder where they can grab what they want, rather than all the faff in zipping, uploading, dead links & paying for the privilege but that doesn't seem to be how it's done here.

Your recommendations & advice would be appreciated. :)
"Elements of the past & future, combining to make something not quite as good as either."

stackjackson

• Administrator
Re: Upload services
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2020, 03:59:35 AM »
Are you asking about uploading or downloading?

Honestly, I've never had any issues with Mega, Zippy, or Mediafire, and certainly haven't encountered download limits. Interesting that you've had that.

As for linking to storage folders, that's basically how Soulseek works, which has always been an easy way for folks to catch large quantities of missing stuff, without too much hassle.
| Stack |

Snowdog

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2020, 08:01:54 AM »
I'm mainly talking downloads.

Mediafire is solid. Never had a problem.

Zippy links seem to go out of date. Pretty much anything I try & download from here that's over a year old is dead.

Mega, not so much. Old links seem to still work just fine most of the time, but I contsantly get bombarded with "download limit exceeded" things where I have to wait 48 hours. And this is with downloading from behind a VPN.

In any case, I decided to pay for a Mega account, juts to make it go away.
"Elements of the past & future, combining to make something not quite as good as either."

digdeeper

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2020, 12:16:45 AM »
Zippy is definitely not recommendable, they block German and UK IPs for some inexplicable reason, being a regular source of confusion for less tech-savvy users ("the link is dead" etc.)

Secondly they have a penchant for deleting stuff rather quickly, which is also bad for obvious preservation / accessibility reasons.

Mega is pretty hassle-free, but requires an account, which is bad.

So far there isn't really a service that would tick all the boxes to be honest, so feel free to suggest more - it's always good to know some alternatives. Being free of obnoxious / dangerous ads and fake "DOWNLOAD HERE" buttons is very important in any case.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 12:21:05 AM by digdeeper »

stackjackson

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2020, 03:59:28 AM »
For downloading Mega files, you shouldn't need an account. That's odd.

I only sign in to Mega for uploading.
| Stack |

Snowdog

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2020, 09:32:41 AM »
I could download some & then I would get the warning thing up, blocking the way with a countdown.

Even in a Tor browser & even with a VPN.

Weird that no one else gets it. I'm obviously doing something wrong.  :P

Greta

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2020, 11:02:12 AM »

Correct.
G.

Snowdog

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2020, 11:09:43 AM »

Correct.

I get that this is basically correct. I get that no one else has experienced this.

Sadly, each time it cleared & I was able to start downloading again, after downloading a few albums, I would once again get a big box come up covering the window telling me I had exceeded my download limit & despite all my best efforts (Tor browsers, VPNs etc.) it would keep coming up.

I'm not making this up.

Telling me that it's not supposed to happen doesn't stop it happening!  :D

Anyway, I signed up for the cheapest Mega account & it's stopped happening, so problem solved.  ;)

Snowdog

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2020, 11:12:02 AM »
It was probably a cookie or something that I allowed to be downloaded onto my Mac that was communicating with Mega. **shrugs**

Greta

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2020, 11:22:21 AM »
If you have a free account or if you don't have an account, the message "bandwidth limit exceeded" shows up when you download more than 5GB per day.
G.

Snowdog

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2020, 01:36:48 PM »
If you have a free account or if you don't have an account, the message "bandwidth limit exceeded" shows up when you download more than 5GB per day.

Ah, well that explains it! Thanks!

digdeeper

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2020, 02:35:23 PM »
I meant for uploading to Mega an account is required.

Of course a VPN is no guarantee your counter is reset. Since there will be naturally other VPN users downloading stuff from Mega, chances are you will at some point get an IP from your VPN that was already used with Mega within the last 24 hours by another customer of the same VPN.

stackjackson

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2020, 03:13:40 PM »

Ah, well that explains it! Thanks!

Ah, over 5GB. I get it now. Snowdog, you must be pulling down a lot of files!  ;D
| Stack |

Snowdog

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2020, 03:31:36 PM »
I have a lot of catching up to do!   8]

niknak

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2020, 11:50:01 PM »
If you are thinking of springing cash to download Snowdog look at deepbrid or one of those services. one that hooks into jdownloader is a huge pain saver.