Author Topic: An odd suggestion, but...  (Read 504 times)

apmnut

An odd suggestion, but...
« on: September 20, 2020, 06:52:14 PM »
...but how about a section for sound effects? To me, sound effects and library music kinda go hand in hand. There aren't as many stock libraries out there of SFX though that some of us would be willing to share, though, at least on LP, 78 or CD, but still, SFX is one of my non-library passions and I guess the fact several stock music libraries also distributed SFX (like Robert Hall and Tanner) could be enough to warrant such a section on this site. I'm sure other SFX-philes like myself might be interested in something like this.

Upgrade

Re: An odd suggestion, but...
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2020, 08:39:22 PM »
The Sound Ideas company from Canada is sort of the opposite; they are primarily known for their vast collections of sound effects, but at one time had a production music setlist.

Iíve even seen some sound effects records made by the venerable Victor Records released in the 20s and 30s. Theyíre very short tracks on 78s.

Iíd be very surprised if Edison cylinders provided sound effects, probably because radio and sound film was in their infancy. Though charming, itís kind of one of the gripes I have regarding the Murdoch Mysteries TV show.

Andrew

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 02:49:13 AM »
Interesting idea!

I'm still looking for a few of the Madacy Spectacular Sound Effects CD's from 1994.
They're not really "library" as they were sold commercially. 
They come from an earlier 70's sound effects library.  I can't remember the name at the moment.

apmnut

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 04:33:43 AM »
Interesting idea!

I'm still looking for a few of the Madacy Spectacular Sound Effects CD's from 1994.
They're not really "library" as they were sold commercially. 
They come from an earlier 70's sound effects library.  I can't remember the name at the moment.
I think some (not all) of those cuts came from the old Audio Fidelity stereo SFX LPs from the 60s/70s.

BTW, there were some sounds in a cut one of the Formatic Radio albums you posted some time ago that I know are available on one of Sound Ideas' CD libraries:
ARROW, CARTOON- BUNG ZIP BOW/TWANG, CARTOON - HOYT'S BOW TWANG
BOING, CARTOON - BIG, LONG BOING
Both on the Hanna-Barbera library from Sound Ideas, the comic bow and arrow sequence heard on that cut I heard it in is the original unaltered version of the sequence comprising those two sounds. I don't know where it originally came from. The original unaltered sequence can be found on one of the albums off of the Valentino CD SFX library, one of a few from that series licensed from some other Hollywood-based (?) library I'd love to know the name of.

Valentino's noteworthy for perhaps being the one production music library most known for its SFX library - they had a popular series of SFX 78s and LPs.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 04:36:52 AM by apmnut »

Mr

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 09:36:18 AM »
I personally have no interest in listening to sound effects, but library labels often dabbled in both markets, understandably.

Andrew

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 01:13:42 PM »
One place you will find an overlap between what is considered sound effects releases and what is considered library releases is in things like "electronic effects" or "moog effects", etc.

Dima22112003

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2020, 06:20:45 PM »
Well Andrew, can you upload more Robert Hall SFX albums, please.

Andrew

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2020, 07:43:04 PM »
I guess this is appropriate for the conversation..

When it comes to sound effects records, I only bother ripping ones that have either electronic effects, synthesizers, or music effects.

If it's records that just contains things like car noises, footsteps, door slams, etc, then I don't bother.  You can get better quality versions of those types of sounds from CD's or online releases already. 

I don't think there is anything special about a 1970s door slam or footstep versus a modern door slam or footstep.  Unless something about doors and the way they close has changed over the years.

apmnut

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2020, 08:36:49 PM »
I guess this is appropriate for the conversation..

When it comes to sound effects records, I only bother ripping ones that have either electronic effects, synthesizers, or music effects.

If it's records that just contains things like car noises, footsteps, door slams, etc, then I don't bother.  You can get better quality versions of those types of sounds from CD's or online releases already. 

I don't think there is anything special about a 1970s door slam or footstep versus a modern door slam or footstep.  Unless something about doors and the way they close has changed over the years.
I get what you mean, but I'm specifically interested in ones with "cartoony" SFX.

Those kinds of "BOINGS!" and "ZIPS!" and "KABLAMS!" recorded back in the day has a sound quality of their own compared to newer sounds, so if you've any with, say, those kinds of sounds, I'd be more than happy to hear those. I can see what you mean about general sounds like door slams or footsteps or applause and whatnot, but cartoony sounds are oftentimes more distinctive than "general" foley sounds. I guess some of them qualify as "music effects" since much cartoon sounds are made with musical instruments.

Hopefully you could make an exception? It'd be cool to see if I recognize them from anything. Those "Fun Effects" records from Robert Hall are probably my holy grails in terms of SFX records for precisely this reason.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 02:26:49 AM by apmnut »

Dima22112003

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2020, 12:00:33 PM »
I know, can you upload more Robert Hall SFX albums, please. I can't wait to upload.