Author Topic: How do you arrange your music folders & files?  (Read 280 times)

Snowdog

Re: How do you arrange your music folders & files?
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2020, 11:32:56 PM »
Mainstream music is sorted by artist & then I have a few categories to differentiate between main albums, best of of collections, bootlegs, singles, collaborations, etc.

Within each of those categories will be the albums, starting with the release year, then the album title & then any other details:

"Elements of the past & future, combining to make something not quite as good as either."

Snowdog

Re: How do you arrange your music folders & files?
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2020, 11:42:21 PM »
For all of the above, I use either OST, Trunk or the mainstream Artist's name in the "album artist" field, so that they sort together & I view by "Album By Artist/Year". This means that, with my shocking memory, I know where to go to to find stuff that is in that category. I don't use the year column so that the albums fall strictly in the order I've named them. I don't use Grouping or Genre either.

I also keep the Composer field empty for everything except classical. For all my classical music, I use the album artist field for the composer (surname first) & the artist field for the orchestra/performer. I also put the composer's name in the composer field so that when I'm dealing with my classical music, I can sort by composer & all the classical music sorts alphabetically by composer & everything else comes after it.

I use "Tag Editor" to make sure that all of the lossless music, the lossy music & the album folders on my hard drive are in agreement.

I do have a life, I promise. :)
"Elements of the past & future, combining to make something not quite as good as either."