Author Topic: That type of composition?  (Read 122 times)

Uvuzau

That type of composition?
« on: September 08, 2020, 10:01:09 AM »
Hey everyone,

I was wondering is here among us someone who is musically educated a bit more, probably into composing?
What im looking for is, how would you describe this type of short miniature like compositions, is there some general name or style, any term actually?
There have to be some terminology inside the composers vocabulary,all i know is that they are named like drama fragments, impulses, suspense ,loops ,etc
its not something you will hear played in concert hall, so pretty much hard to figure out "exact" style of composing(if there is name at all for it)
Also did you ever come across  library release with score included?
i really want to learn more about it and here where i live finding a teacher or "mentor" is not possible.
I will type album, artist and track name, later i will add audio examples, just a few tracks from De Wolfe,mostly Ivor Slaney

Thanks everyone for any type of help.

DE WOLFE
DW 2599 - 02 Mechanical Movement - Hugo De Groot (awesome)
DW 2605 - 02 Dramatic Fragments No. 5 ⦿ - Ivor Slaney (whole record is great, favorite style+++)
DW 2614 - 02 Dramatic Thematic Film Series ◯- Ivor Slaney
DW 2669 - 02 Impulse No. 3. 6-8 - Ivor Slaney
DW 2700 - 02 Mood Fragments No. 1220 - Ivor Slaney

Here are some audio examples, private upload
https://soundcloud.com/user-256032331/sets/dw/s-4xL2MkcsHzS

« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 04:10:58 PM by Uvuzau »

Mr

• Administrator
Re: That type of composition?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 10:22:30 AM »
I believe the term "incidental music" covers most library music. A lot of the British 78-era orchestral compositions would also be considered "light music".

Consult your local conservatory, they might be able to put you in contact with someone :)
For this era, the compositions themselves are one thing, but I find the orchestrations are particularly well-crafted.

Uvuzau

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 10:49:53 AM »
Thank you Mr. that was fast.

I find in this few pieces really special atmospheres and great rhythmical quality to them.
all in all unique little pieces, after first listen i cant forget them.
Is it maybe something to do with Ivor Slaney ? :D is it Slaney style?
I guess no because there are more similar stuff like this that pulls you inside of that special atmosphere in under one minute.
i had this on my mind for few days Mechanical Movement - Hugo De Groot, and had a bit of trouble finding it again between all albums, just awesome little music.
I know this is mostly under Incidental category, but its a huge term actually, just like typing for example Rock&Roll in youtube and expecting to find essence of rock :D

Thank you Mr.

Edit:
I find this work interesting reading material, maybe someone will be interested.
Was looking for some Slaney scores and found this pdf, just short motive page 50.
A Twenty-first Century Light Music Composer
hxxps://eprints.hud.ac.uk/id/eprint/31097/1/__nas01_librhome_librsh3_Desktop_FINAL%20THESIS.pdf
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 02:33:41 PM by Uvuzau »

jackie kennedy

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 11:17:50 PM »
I believe the term "incidental music" covers most library music.

this is what i say as well, or "mood music". one thing that i love about library music is that the musicians (or artist) imagined a scene in a film, and wrote music to fit that scene. so when i listen to the music, sometimes i imagine i discovered a lost film and all that remains is the music (or pieces of it if the full album is not so good)

an example: devil's dream reminds me of a very very smoky room, with low light and high contrasting colors at night.