Author Topic: Years and other data  (Read 472 times)

Andrew

Years and other data
« on: August 30, 2020, 06:45:12 PM »
Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone is involved in updating information on discogs, or also keeps track of year information?

I try to get as close to the year as I can on original release years.

Every once in awhile I notice something like on discogs MP 2000 "MP 87 - Panorama N° 2" is listed as 1979, but my copy had the year it was received for use was 1978 (so most likely anything from 1976 to 1978)

« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 06:48:03 PM by Andrew »

a8detective

• a8detective - YouTube
Re: Years and other data
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 09:27:29 PM »
     That may partially be my fault. A few years ago I added the date on Discogs for Janko Nilovic's Monparnasse LPs MP 86 and MP 88 based on the site Cosmic Sounds (h++p://www.cosmicsounds-london.com/Janko/Nilovic.html). They have 1979 for both albums. Tom Val (who sometimes participates here on LMT) changed the date of MP 87 - Panarama n° 2 to 1979 because it falls between the two I had changed to 1979.

Since then, I was turned on to the Bibliothèque Nationale de France. Their search function isn't the best, but with some work many French Library albums can be found. A lot of the entries have dates, I'm assuming by when they first entered their collection. I just found MP 87 (h++ps://catalogue.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/cb37928061f) and updated the date on Discogs with a reference to the BnF.

There is a similar site that has some German records (h++ps://www.dnb.de/DE/Home/home_node.html). I have always wondered if these libraries actually have copies of old Library records and if they can be checked out and ripped. Anyone near these places in France and Germany that could check it out?

stackjackson

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 03:32:57 AM »
I'm obsessed with dates. The UK labels seem to have been the only ones interested in keeping diligent records in this regard. The French, Italian, and US labels are endlessly frustrating.
But good detective work can sometimes pay off.
| Stack |

Andrew

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2020, 01:19:04 AM »
I have always wondered if these libraries actually have copies of old Library records and if they can be checked out and ripped.

I wondered that myself a few years ago for a library in Toronto.
As far as I know they would only let you listen to them in the library in their listening room or something similar.

Andrew

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2020, 02:36:02 PM »
This may be odd.. but for soundtracks, instead of the year the soundtrack was released, I put the year of the movie.
The reason I do that is because the "sound" of the music belongs to the year when it was recorded.

Mr

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2020, 04:14:38 PM »
I simply don't trust Discogs dates unless these are explicitly listed on the releases themselves - dates are often added by users making more or less educated guesses assuming you have to add a date, assuming dates based on other release dates from the same label or artist (themselves often not properly sourced), etc. In particular, there is little to no quality control on library LPs on Discogs, which is a pity.

Apart from the obvious cases where dates are listed on the physical release, you can often find approximate release dates based on distribution stickers, copyright paperwork, dates from national libraries and so on.
Sometimes the music itself also gives a few hints; "Sundown" by Jean-Pierre Decerf and Gérard Zajd (MP 2000, MP 102) and "Purple Moon" by David Reilly (Programme Music Recording, PM 026) are both "inspired" by Pink Floyd's "The Dark Side of the Moon", and would likely have been written during or after 1973. Similarly, the themes for the LP's cues might have been commissioned to follow a specific trend or need - such as the discussion about Jacques Costeau films triggering a demand for underwater-themed releases found elsewhere on the board here.

Andrew

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2020, 11:04:44 PM »
That explains it perfectly Mr.

I've been guilty of filling in years in my own data, but like you said don't claim something is a certain year unless it's specifically written on it.

Mr

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2020, 05:22:58 PM »
Apropos, I just stumbled upon some mentions of Bosworth 78 recordings in a 1939 issue of the UK's long-running "Gramophone" magazine.
It identifies BC.1065 to (I assume) BC.1075 as being released in 1939 and that they "include recordings especially suitable as incidental music to amateur film and stage shows." - interestingly implying these were in fact not non-commercial, but also aimed at private customers.

Andrew

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2020, 11:45:48 PM »
Wow that's really early.  Is that around the very start of what was considered production library music?

I guess the first might be considered just a piano player for a silent movie?

Mr

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2020, 09:33:22 AM »
Yeah, I guess. Sam Fox and other publishers supplied sheet music for live film scoring prior to the advent of recorded music.