Author Topic: Good morning/afternoon/evening (delete as applicable)  (Read 506 times)

pentlandsound

Good morning/afternoon/evening (delete as applicable)
« on: August 16, 2020, 10:20:04 AM »
Hi everyone, and thanks to the relevant people for putting together such a great online resource. Probably like most people of a certain age, in the U.K., I first became aware of 'production' music in the 1970s as a small child on days off school - either during the holidays or when I wasn't well and had to stay at home with the T.V. for company. T.V. programming only ran for about 8 - 16 hours a day then, and there were great gaps in the schedule which would be filled by the test card, or a display of a clock, accompanied by a whole set of great, utterly listenable and curiously unobtainable music.

As an aside: when I was about 8 I was given a wind-up gramophone and a bunch of shellac 78s - this kicked off a passion for records both old and new. That year I was also given a 'proper', second-hand record player, so I could play vinyl records as well. We had a little junk-shop in the town where I lived, and it sold 78s for five pence each. The shop did very well out of me - benefiting most weeks from my 25p a week spending money.

Some years later, in the early 80s, as a young teenager, I was back in the old town for a visit, and popped in to the junk-shop, where I found several grocery boxes of vinyl 78s, all on labels like Southern and Impress, their sleeves stamped "Border Television - Not to be taken away". Clearly my old local T.V. station had been having a spring-clean. Might these possibly yield up some of the music that I'd loved nearly a decade before?

I bought fifty of the 78s (now at rather more than 5p each), as many as I could afford and carry home on the train. The records were all in near-perfect condition, and the music on them was magical - mainly light orchestral (weirdly reminiscent of pink-and-grey-floor-tiled supermarkets, fondue sets, Lord Nelson Gaytime crockery and truly terrible wallpaper), but some 'cool' jazz in there too, and even some 'beat'-styled records.

Over the years, your interests inevitably vary, and gradually some of the records got lost, were given away, went in house moves and so on. I moved house again in February this year, and while packing up came upon the surviving eleven discs. Hearing them again for the first time in a long while rekindled my interest in the genre, and I've since picked up several 'job lots' of these 78s on eBay, as well as a few LPs. Fortunately, the kinds of music I like seem to have passed the 'serious' collectors by, and I think the latest lot worked out cheaper in real terms than those 50 I lugged home on the train in 1982.

I'm compiling a list of the records I have, and will submit it once it's ready. I hope to be able to fill in some of the blanks in your Southern 78s listing.

Regards

David

Retronic

• Administrator
Re: Good morning/afternoon/evening (delete as applicable)
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 10:27:21 AM »
David, I love your story.  Welcome to the club.

stackjackson

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 02:26:17 PM »
Great story, David! And welcome.

Check out Mr's Southern 78s discography here => https://librarymusicthemes.net/index.php?topic=247.0
| Stack |

Greta

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 01:24:54 AM »
Welcome David.
G.

digdeeper

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2020, 03:27:55 AM »
Very interesting story indeed! Welcome!