Author Topic: Any Stuart Daniel Baker fans here @LMT?  (Read 141 times)

Muff Diver

• Secret Squirrel is watching!
Any Stuart Daniel Baker fans here @LMT?
« on: August 12, 2020, 09:03:59 PM »

No, really, it's a serious question  ;)

You might recognize him better by his stage name, Unknown Hinson?

A few years ago a friend turned me onto Squidbillies. This animated short about a family of redneck squids living in North Georgia at the foot of the Appalachian trail. I can't really explain much more. Squidbillies has to be experienced to be understood  8] :o

Squidbillies used to air on Nickelodeon, weeknights during the after children's bedtime hours during Adult Swim, a late night time slot reserved for adult humor. I don't think they're filming any new Squidbillies episodes.

Is any of this ringing any bells? Beuller??

Long story short, Squidbillies is insanely hilarious and I became a big fan. After a while, I began to dig deeper and I learned that the voice of the main character is a serious guitarist in real life who originated the main character of Early Cuyler and also his stage persona named Unknown Hinson.

The rest is a long story and takes on a history all its own. But this cat can really play the guitar, and his music is so redneck and so hilarious and NSFW! He plays the redneck hillbilly schtick to the hilt and it totally works for him. Unknown Hinson is many things but not politically correct.

A few years ago Stuart Daniel Baker (his real name) lost his wife/manager after a years-long cancer battle. Then he went into a long depression and grieving stage. He later stopped touring and performing publicly. All his old CDs are out of print and his online store is shuttered. The last of his website is now gone, too. Sad days.

His CDs are very difficult to get and pretty pricey, too, if you don't know where to find them.  For the longest time, all I've been able to find were a few dozen of his old songs on corrupted mp3s.

It's only this last year after hunting online and then hunting some more. I finally found a source of his CD recordings; he's opened up a store on eBay selling all his stuff like music, guitars, etc. I"m slowly acquiring his CDs on the "installment plan."

Check out some of the episodes for free:

h--ps://www.adultswim.com/videos/squidbillies

Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit