Author Topic: Good tag editor for Mac  (Read 427 times)

Uvuzau

Good tag editor for Mac
« on: July 28, 2020, 11:27:27 AM »
Hey everyone

I was wondering what free id tag editor you use when organizing files, names, comments, artwork and so on.
Mac is pretty much messy when it comes to being neatly organized, for example with this tag editor from Amvidia
i edit files, most important comment section and they just don't show up in column window in folders.
So annoying since i wrote by hand at least 200-300 comments .
After copying same files to PC comments are seen in folder column....
is it easier to just throw MAC out of the window ? :D

please some suggestions on free tag editors or your experience with this kind of stuff

thanks

Dick Turpin

Re: Good tag editor for Mac
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 01:13:42 PM »
I'd recommend KID3, cross-platform, MAC included.

https://kid3.kde.org/
Hands up, give me all your hammond !

Uvuzau

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 01:46:53 PM »
I'd recommend KID3, cross-platform, MAC included.

https://kid3.kde.org/
Cool thank you, will try it.

stackjackson

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 01:50:18 PM »
I know this works great for Mac. Thanks for sharing the info, DT.
| Stack |

Dick Turpin

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 03:24:34 PM »
A tip for using KID3 for pulling in Discogs information, to get the exact release you want go to the Discogs page and copy the release number (rxxxxxxx) without the [] brackets and it finds exactly the right one for you, NB do include the r.

kimhill

• instagram.com/kimhill
    • Instagram
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 10:40:12 PM »
i edit files [ID3 tags], most important comment section and they just don't show up in column window in folders. So annoying since i wrote by hand at least 200-300 comments

Don't worry- nothing has happened to your comments. It's just that Windows has an option to display extra file attributes (like some ID3 tags) natively in its file browser (i.e. in normal folder columns), and MacOS doesn't. Historically, Windows & Linux users have been more likely to use their native file system to manage music files than Mac users, who mostly use iTunes for this. Personally, I think iTunes or other dedicated music database apps are preferable, because they vastly reduce the housekeeping burden for keeping libraries consistent.

If you use iTunes, the tag editing features you need are built-in, although there are cases where you might want an additional utility for specialty features. I've been thinking about starting a thread about what people here use for music library management. Obviously there's a lot of people here with massive digital libraries. Personally, my iTunes library has 53k tracks at the moment, which is not actually very large in music collector circles.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 10:47:33 PM by kimhill »

stackjackson

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 11:25:05 PM »

... Mac users, who mostly use iTunes for this. Personally, I think iTunes or other dedicated music database apps are preferable, because they vastly reduce the housekeeping burden for keeping libraries consistent.

If you use iTunes, the tag editing features you need are built-in, although there are cases where you might want an additional utility for specialty features. I've been thinking about starting a thread about what people here use for music library management. Obviously there's a lot of people here with massive digital libraries. Personally, my iTunes library has 53k tracks at the moment, which is not actually very large in music collector circles.

That's me. iTunes is my main database for active music, has been for over 20 years. But I also use iTunes for all my tagging, whether I keep the files in the library or not.

The program DT suggests is also good, especially for tagging FLAC files, which my iTunes doesn't read (for listening I usually convert to mp3, then tag, etc.)
| Stack |

kimhill

• instagram.com/kimhill
    • Instagram
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2020, 11:44:42 PM »
…iTunes is my main database for active music, has been for over 20 years.

I've also used iTunes for 20+ years, since before it was even "iTunes" — before Apple acquired "SoundJam" & turned it into iTunes.

You've highlighted a crucial workflow/philosophy issue there- talking about music that's "active" or "for listening" — presumably a two-track collection that's part archive & part "active."

Uvuzau

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2020, 07:20:34 AM »
thank you guys for sharing your experiences.

I tried kid3 and it cant actually copy all file names at same time.
I want to tag all files from its original names, maybe i didnt figured it out ?

Uvuzau

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2020, 07:24:54 AM »
i edit files [ID3 tags], most important comment section and they just don't show up in column window in folders. So annoying since i wrote by hand at least 200-300 comments

Don't worry- nothing has happened to your comments. It's just that Windows has an option to display extra file attributes (like some ID3 tags) natively in its file browser (i.e. in normal folder columns), and MacOS doesn't. Historically, Windows & Linux users have been more likely to use their native file system to manage music files than Mac users, who mostly use iTunes for this. Personally, I think iTunes or other dedicated music database apps are preferable, because they vastly reduce the housekeeping burden for keeping libraries consistent.

For me it was never useful when it comes to multiple files editing, you have to go thru each file and add tags, tag editor amvidia have nice and quick workflow, but in free version you cant add multiple files :D
I have comments column in folders, but comments are not showing up at all, but they are visible in get info window... strange
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 07:33:43 AM by Uvuzau »

Dick Turpin

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2020, 10:28:55 AM »
thank you guys for sharing your experiences.

I tried kid3 and it cant actually copy all file names at same time.
I want to tag all files from its original names, maybe i didnt figured it out ?

It can and very easily.

If you want to edit just one track then just select one as shown here

If you want to edit just multiple tracks then select all as shown here. Firstly highlight all your tracks in the left windows then any tag attributes you change in the right hand window will be applied to all file, note where there are differences between tracks then you will see an equals sign with a slash through it (≠) in the attributes window

NB click images for full size.

Hope this helps and if you have anymore questions only too happy to help.

DT

Uvuzau

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2020, 11:29:19 AM »
Thank you for your generous help.
Im currently not home, so cant check it .

As it seems from what you screen shoted, you still cant add track names just by copying all the files ?
If i select all files like in screenshot then that would rename all tracks into same name?and thats not what is needed when just tagging whole album .
What i was doing with other tag editor is i would just copy all track names and they will be tagged.
Maybe im wrong about it ?

Thanks

Dick Turpin

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2020, 12:44:47 PM »
Thank you for your generous help.
Im currently not home, so cant check it .

As it seems from what you screen shoted, you still cant add track names just by copying all the files ?
If i select all files like in screenshot then that would rename all tracks into same name?and thats not what is needed when just tagging whole album .
What i was doing with other tag editor is i would just copy all track names and they will be tagged.
Maybe im wrong about it ?

Thanks

No, if you select all and just add the album name for example then it will only alter the album name. Like any program it's takes a little bit of a learning curve , I suggest looking at the online guides.

By far the simplest, quickest and best way is to import from Discogs as I mentioned earlier.

File>import from Discogs

It's by far the best tagger out there, I've used them all.

DT

Uvuzau

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2020, 03:46:23 PM »
i just came home and wanted to try it, but it cant do what i want.
Simply copy all track names as they are to appropriate tag place .
so when you play it in any cd player you can see all info nicely arranged.
I really dont have time to copy each track name(+100 in this album)when it can be done with ctr+c / ctr+v

And btw what im trying to tag now is not on Discogs :D .

Dick Turpin

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2020, 03:51:40 PM »
i just came home and wanted to try it, but it cant do what i want.
Simply copy all track names as they are to appropriate tag place .
so when you play it in any cd player you can see all info nicely arranged.
I really dont have time to copy each track name(+100 in this album)when it can be done with ctr+c / ctr+v

And btw what im trying to tag now is not on Discogs :D .

See those buttons that say tag1 & tag2, that's how you copy tag to filename and filename to tag and you apply the appropriate formatting in the format dialogue boxes. Remember to select all tracks on the left. When you are good to go hit the save icon.

NB tag 2 is for ID3v2 and tag 1 is for ID3v1, V2 is better.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 03:58:30 PM by Dick Turpin »