Author Topic: Fay Gibbs Music  (Read 341 times)

John_Fred

Fay Gibbs Music
« on: July 21, 2020, 04:29:29 AM »
Does anyone have any titles by this record label?

It seems to be very elusive with little or no information about it, anywhere.
Lift/elevator music?  Give over.

bardwell64

Re: Fay Gibbs Music
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 06:10:25 PM »
I believe they operated as agents only, I don't believe they ever produced any music of their own. They acted as agents for Funtastik at one point, supplying music to the BBC, but unfortunately Fay Gibbs Music had a nasty habit of renaming all the tracks so they became untraceable. they also imported music from Czechoslovakia which was also supplied to the BBC with new track titles.

I believe this comnpany ceased trading in the mid 1990s.

jm100

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 02:11:28 PM »
Just as an example of how difficult to track down some of this Fay Gibbs Music stuff is, the lead off track from "Everything You Need" is credited on the cue sheets to The Music Society Players, and composed by Gordon Bennett.

Then you find out via Shazam that it's actually a saxophone instrumental version of the 1989 re-recording of "Cos'hai Trovato In Lui" by Bruno Martino... then you find out that same saxophone instrumental is being sold on iTunes as "Heart Never Mend" by The Romantic Orchestra.

I believe the missing link here is actually the composer Al Dickinson, who appeared to upload a lot of tracks like this for sale on iTunes in the early 2010's, under the labels SMD Music and Ditton Records.

Al Dickinson also has form in the Ceefax / Test Card world as the composer of all tracks on the "Choco Coca" tape.

I know it doesn't help much but I'm as stumped as most on pretty much everything else under the Fay Gibbs Music name!

Cheers
jm100

Moleoman

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 06:11:21 PM »
According to Billboard's 1992 International Buyers Guide, Fay Gibbs used to distribute Primrose Music and Image Music Library among others in the UK: https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-Billboard/90s/1992/Billboard-International-Buyers-Guide-1992.pdf (see page 256)

The website of their successors, Gibbs Music Services, mentions that Fay Gibbs also once distributed Red Bus and Killer Tracks in the same country: https://www.gibbsmusicservices.com/about

Lord Thames

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2020, 07:03:29 PM »
Just as an example of how difficult to track down some of this Fay Gibbs Music stuff is, the lead off track from "Everything You Need" is credited on the cue sheets to The Music Society Players, and composed by Gordon Bennett.

Then you find out via Shazam that it's actually a saxophone instrumental version of the 1989 re-recording of "Cos'hai Trovato In Lui" by Bruno Martino...

Possibly the version from this LP here? discogs.com/Various-Italian-Hits-Instrumental/release/5139087

As a rule of thumb, it's best to completely ignore the PasBs, as they're inevitably complete works of fiction! (Gordon Bennett, not a real person? Surely not!!)

I wouldn't wish to speculate on why all these made-up track titles, composers and publishing details were applied to these tracks, it could be that whoever put the tapes together never had the original details in the first place, who knows?  As for whether Vladimir Cosma, Janko Nilovic, Zybsek Bittmar, Pavel Stanek and others ever got the royalties they were due.....

Lord Thames

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2020, 10:00:25 PM »
Just for a bit of interest, I thought I'd compile a list of known records that have appeared on Ceefax via Fay Gibbs (probably not complete, but here's what I can remember!):

discogs.com/Ren%C3%A9-Costy-The-Strings-Orchestra-/release/4056684 - featuring several tracks from the 'In The Open' tape

discogs.com/Vladimir-Cosma-LAs-Des-As/release/1820719 - main theme features on 'In The Open'

discogs.com/Vladimir-Cosma-Les-Aventures-De-Rabbi-Jacob/release/1817910 - track features on 'In The Open'

discogs.com/Vladimir-Cosma-Lanimal-Bande-Originale-Du-Film/release/2895628 - opening track of 'Europa Time' tape

discogs.com/Vladimir-Cosma-Le-Coup-Du-Parapluie/release/757142 - main title theme features on 'Europa Time' tape

discogs.com/Vladimir-Cosma-Sam-Sally/release/1818565 - track featured on 'Europa Time' tape

discogs.com/Himiko-Kikuchi-Dont-Be-Stupid/release/1341629 - tracks from 'Hazel Crest' and 'Looks Good, Feels Good' tapes

discogs.com/Himiko-Kikuchi-Woman/release/4239020 - more tracks from 'Hazel Crest'

uk.7digital.com/artist/various-artists/release/gymnastika-cvi%C4%8D%C3%ADme-s-hudbou-10-8335560  - track from 'Rolling Along'

Some of the Vladimir Cosma tracks may have been reissued by the Patchwork library, which could be where Gibbs got them from.

jm100

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2020, 09:21:35 AM »

Then you find out via Shazam that it's actually a saxophone instrumental version of the 1989 re-recording of "Cos'hai Trovato In Lui" by Bruno Martino...

Possibly the version from this LP here? discogs.com/Various-Italian-Hits-Instrumental/release/5139087

Good spot, I guess we'll find out shortly as I managed to find a copy in Germany for 9  ;D

I have a feeling that it will be the one, especially since "Innamorarsi Mai" is on there too, an instrumental version of which appears to be Track 4 of the "Everything You Need" tape. Never know, there might even be a few more on there that I haven't been able to ID via Shazam!

Thanks for the list of "real names" as well, any more you know of would be great for filling gaps!

Cheers
jm

John_Fred

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2020, 04:40:28 PM »
Ah, this sounds all so familiar with regard to Ceefax Music.  I'm not going to mention, 'the martinez players...'  Oops, too late!   :-X

Thanks for all the info above, though.

Lift/elevator music?  Give over.