Author Topic: Mandingo 4 LPs (1973-1977)  (Read 906 times)

Uvuzau

Re: Mandingo 4 LPs (1973-1977)
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2020, 11:25:53 AM »
thank you, amazing.

Btw i checked that Nagaoka MP-500 catridge, was shocked with price of 881.11 ... my monthly paycheck, crazy

stackjackson

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2020, 03:18:10 PM »
Somehow I missed this back in June. Thanks for these Mandingos!
| Stack |

Saucer People

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2020, 01:46:21 PM »
Huge thanks Tuneboy for the lossless Vinyl upgrades to the Mandingo albums - I've been searching for a decent rip of Mandingo III for eons.

I think one of the most amazing thing about these albums, aside from the music, is the fact that it was the legendary Big band leader Geoff Love who was behind the Mandingo project (he's particularly close to my heart, been born in Todmorden, a couple of miles up the road from where I live).

It's interesting to hear from 70s Disco DJs who thought Mandingo were the 'real' African-American deal (similar to The
Chakachas, who though of Latin origin were based in Belgium).
I've always argued that the 'authentic' origins of American disco music was problematic, even Jin-go-lo-ba (or "Jingo")  by Babatunde Olatunji from the 1959 Drums of Passion album which was played out by early NY disco DJ Francis Grasso and was considered 'authentic' World music because of Olatunji's Nigerian roots was recorded and played in New York, not Africa - I just think it makes for a more amazing story than the origin myth of authenticity versus the synthetic - but I digress.

If anyone wants to compare the quality of Tuneboy's Rips here's a couple of links to CD Rips of three of the albums, which I thought were pretty good sound wise until I heard these Vinyl Rips! :

Mandingo - Savage Rite (FLAC 1977 CD Reissue Righteous UK 2012)
mega.nz/folder/gQNm3I5A#mvLJzh9RsPvGnVK8DWC_Jg

Mandingo - The Primeval Rhythm Of Life-Sacrifice (FLAC 1972-73 CD Reissue 1999)
mega.nz/folder/ZQECkK6I#Gg3QcJQqnGQ0hTiSP5mIMw