Author Topic: Reliable External Hard Drive?  (Read 961 times)

digdeeper

Re: Reliable External Hard Drive?
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2020, 12:44:32 AM »
SSD and FLAC? Not gonna work, not with a large collection at the current prices. I'm waiting for HDDs to be come obsolete as well, but it's not happening that quickly. Besides, SSDs are not failsafe either, unfortunately.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 12:46:25 AM by digdeeper »

stackjackson

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2020, 03:44:04 AM »

I'm currently (and for 2 years now) have been using a service called backblaze (mainly because i also backup my photos and my work and all of it is around... 16TB)
The main thing i love about backblaze is that whatever the size of your backup, the cost is still the same.

But it depends also on your connection (speed, cost of uploading data etc...)

I tried one of these dynamic cloud services before, but it was a huge memory hog. I eventually cancelled it. How is backblaze in this regard?
| Stack |

kimhill

• instagram.com/kimhill
    • Instagram
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2020, 07:35:02 AM »
I'm currently (and for 2 years now) have been using a service called backblaze (mainly because i also backup my photos and my work and all of it is around... 16TB)
The main thing i love about backblaze is that whatever the size of your backup, the cost is still the same.

I use Backblaze too. Pretty satisfied. Everyone needs some kind of off-site BU solution.

kimhill

• instagram.com/kimhill
    • Instagram
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2020, 07:37:31 AM »
I tried one of these dynamic cloud services before, but it was a huge memory hog. I eventually cancelled it. How is backblaze in this regard?

I haven't had any memory problems with a 16GB MacBook Pro. The background stuff tries to stay out of your way, but I've ended up killing the process occasionally.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 10:39:00 AM by kimhill »

Retronic

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2020, 08:06:27 AM »
Iím looking into a NAS option.  My mate was telling me he has had no problems in five years with his.

madescap

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2020, 08:49:16 AM »
Well, a NAS is essentially hard drives made into one huge one... so it's still hard drives that can collapse... happened once, had to copy all my data from the external HD again... but only happens every "few" years
So NAS is good, but NAS can fail...

Greta

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2020, 10:49:24 AM »
Is there the chance to get files links to share directly from Backblaze?
G.

kimhill

• instagram.com/kimhill
    • Instagram
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2020, 11:03:11 PM »
Is there the chance to get files links to share directly from Backblaze?

Almost positive thatís a no.

Dick Turpin

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2020, 04:10:27 PM »
Iím looking into a NAS option.  My mate was telling me he has had no problems in five years with his.

Hi Retronic, for info I have two Synology NAS, one for use as a server that has the drives set in RAID mode (see Wikipedia for full discussion) and the other has the two drives set as individual volumes, i.e. no redundancy and is solely used for off line back up.

NASs are not cheap, if you wanted the cheap solution that would be to use two external drives and so you have two copies of backup and keep them synced using using the excellent Freesnync program and always safely remove USB storage devices, eg. https://www.howtogeek.com/118546/htg-explains-do-you-really-need-to-safely-remove-usb-sticks/

I'll leave the ZFS and BTRFS filing system bitrot protection discussion for another day  ;D

Regards

DT
Hands up, give me all your hammond !

kimhill

• instagram.com/kimhill
    • Instagram
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2020, 08:51:20 PM »
[I'll leave the ZFS and BTRFS filing system bitrot protection discussion for another day

How about tomorrow? That would be very interesting.

kimhill

• instagram.com/kimhill
    • Instagram
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2020, 08:55:45 PM »
"Is there the chance to get files links to share directly from Backblaze?"

i think so :
https://help.backblaze.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000919234?_ga=2.36810528.1845291064.1591705490-778253342.1575066435

That link discusses sharing with Backblaze's more expensive "B2" service tier. I'm pretty sure that the normal consumer tier doesn't support file sharing.

Dick Turpin

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2020, 09:23:48 AM »
Hands up, give me all your hammond !