Author Topic: "Hi" etc.  (Read 151 times)

rummyraisin

"Hi" etc.
« on: May 19, 2020, 07:39:31 AM »
Hi all--thanks for adding me! I've been a lurker on this forum (and the old one) over the years and for some reason only now thought to join. Much respect for all you've accomplished.

When I was a kid, I remember getting hung up on bits of music in old Hanna Barbara shows like Johnny Quest or Scooby Doo. My next touch point was David Holmes' Ocean's 12 soundtrack. Impossibly cool, anonymous and familiar all at once. Then in college, I found Sven Libaek's "Inner Space" via The Life Aquatic. The notion of library music started to dawn on me. And 2013 was the breakthrough year. I found a record in the "Weird & Unclassifiable" section of my local shop: Egisto Macchi's "Voix." I quickly bought the rest of the Roundtable reissues they had, started to do my research online, and here we are today.

I'm fascinated (sometimes overwhelmed) by the insane variety of genres/styles/modes that makes up library. I've been thinking some about how it might be possible to make searching library albums/tracks more accessible--how to attach more descriptive metadata and the like. I guess that's always been a defining concern of library...all those back cover notes for "medium slow pop," or "urban love themes," you know...

Anyway, glad to be here! I don't have a ton of actual music to share, but I'll try and contribute when I can to the conversation.

stackjackson

• Administrator
Re: "Hi" etc.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 01:50:17 PM »
Welcome to the stage, rummyraisin :)

I agree, it would be ideal if we could index all those music descriptions. I once tried to include them in my own metatags, but gave up long ago, back when back cover scans were scarce.
| Stack |

Retronic

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 06:11:50 PM »
It would be handy putting all the descriptions in- I could tap in Ďtenseí and have all the moody drama I want!
Iím on a bit of a cataloguing phase myself this past week.  I really only rip things I want to listen to but have been ripping clumps from one label and having them in a hard drive even if itís not on my portable player.  Itís easier when looking for a particular track. 
I still love flicking through piles of records though when searching for a particular piece.  Welcome!

Mr

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 08:09:05 PM »
Welcome back!

Absolutely agree - both for our private collections and certainly for the companies now showcasing their cues online it's a seemingly neverending job to correctly categorize and organize everything.
Transcribing the original sleeve notes would be fun undertaking, I think - but then again, that's one of the true joys of flipping through a physical vinyl collection, no?

I'm quite curious what others have tried with regards to organizing, really. I once tried organizing my library collection by instrumentation, to make it easier to identify cues - adding stuff like "bass guitar; electric piano; female vocalise; string ensemble; drum machine" etc. in the file tags. Eventually had to give up because it took *forever*, hehe.

stackjackson

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2020, 03:12:26 AM »
I'm quite curious what others have tried with regards to organizing, really. I once tried organizing my library collection by instrumentation, to make it easier to identify cues - adding stuff like "bass guitar; electric piano; female vocalise; string ensemble; drum machine" etc. in the file tags. Eventually had to give up because it took *forever*, hehe.

On the hard drives I save everything by label, cat#, title, etc. but for listening I maintain a few basic folders: music arranged by (1) individual labels, (2) dates (c. 1958-1988), and (3) countries. I also have a master folder titled "LIBRARY - Master Archives" where every library tune is collected in one place. Then a few thematic folders, e.g. "Groove Library," "Wordless," "Action Film Backgrounds," etc.
| Stack |

rummyraisin

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2020, 05:13:19 AM »
Thanks for the kind welcome, folks ;D

Totally agree--a good search function for music combines a record-flipping experience with the ability to make quick progress via descriptors. I haven't done much tagging of my own stuff, mostly because I don't have that much--though it is starting to accumulate. More power to your personal systems!

Today I spent some time marveling at the website for Warner Chappell Production Music https://www.warnerchappellpm.com/. Such an inviting prompt in their search bar, "keyword, genre, mood."

When I entered something ("sixties") and selected a track/album, it blew me away the amount of descriptive metadata they'd attached (I wonder what algorithms they may have running alongside human catalogers). When you click one of these words, it creates a new search with their preferred term--and you can add these terms together and refine your search into a knife. The coolest ones they have are for instrumentation--because of course I want to return only tracks featuring "Strings - Pizzicato." The interface was a little clunky, but I think if I were a user/customer I'd have more streamlined access.

Looks like they use a tool called Soundminer https://store.soundminer.com/ for their interface. I'll have to research more later...

Mr

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2020, 04:21:38 PM »
hxxps://universalproductionmusic.com
Universal's search engine is also really solid. It has the obvious (instrumentation, style, era, composer and so on), but I've been impressed at how searching for something like "Star Wars" or "Bruce Hornsby" will still net you relevant results - even though these keywords seemingly aren't listed in the file tags. They seem to know what you mean, though ;)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 04:32:31 PM by Mr »