Author Topic: Gerhard Trede All Over the World - Original Sources?  (Read 194 times)

musictheorist

Gerhard Trede All Over the World - Original Sources?
« on: May 04, 2020, 10:53:18 PM »
Looking at that library, it is a compilation of vintage stereo recordings before being published on CD in 1990.

But where do these tracks originally come from like "Hercule Poiroit" or "Dombummel"?

Tracks used on SpongeBob

- Hercule Poiroit
- Kommissar Maigret
- Zelle 501
- Zelle 502
- Zelle 503
- Zelle 505
- Zelle 506

- Dombummel
- Crime Time (sample heavy)
- Dickhäuter
- Impression
- Happy End
- Ornamente No. 1
- Vergnügungspark
- Ulkereien
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 07:41:06 PM by musictheorist »

Mr

• Administrator
Re: Gerhard Trede All Over the World - Original Sources?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 09:49:07 AM »
I think Trede had his own library back in the 'vintage' era. A few cues popped up on Mozart Edition, but apart from that I don't think any of it saw release on vinyl.

Upgrade

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 05:38:26 AM »
I have a couple of the Gerhard Trede Collection - All Around the World CDs and a couple of Selected Sound CDs. Both of their CD booklets are rather vague on the details.

The Selected Sound CD does mark specific tracks as mono which would imply they are a bit older.

Gerhard Trede did have a number of 70s Selected Sound LPs.

I have a couple of CBS EZ Cue tape reels and LPs with Gerhard Trede on them. I still have to cue up the reel to reel machine since the format does not allow easy track cuing, but the track titles are maddeningly similar like "Jazz Im Bach Stil" vs."Bach 'N' Forth" and "City Sound" vs. "Modern Jazz (City-Sound)".

Mr

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 11:51:33 AM »
I have a couple of CBS EZ Cue tape reels and LPs with Gerhard Trede on them. I still have to cue up the reel to reel machine since the format does not allow easy track cuing
Wow! Out of curiosity, could you elaborate on this? Never had the pleasure of working with a reel-to-reel player before.

Upgrade

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 04:19:08 PM »
They aren’t the most exciting titles in the world. They’re 7 inch reels recorded at 7.5 inches per second. There’s somehow less label information than the LPs. From what I recall, there’s a test tone and a voice announcing titles.

imgur.com/a/Krvlnhv

I only have a Wollensak 1500 reel to reel machine that may be older than the tapes themselves. The vacuum tubes still work and it supports 3.75 and 7.5 ips.

It is also mono only so it can only capture half the width of the quarter inch tape. The music plays backwards if I flip the reels around to rewind; if they had been 4 track stereo tapes, I would have captured a lot of unusable backwards and forwards tracks playing at the same time with a mono machine.

If the EZ Cue LPs are marked XTV for mono and the XSV stereo LPs came very late in the catalog, these could be full width mono tapes which are slightly uncommon at the time since stereo tape was being pushed hard. Though having mono tapes would probably be attractive to the film sets with aging equipment they refuse to update.

I was comparing to this CBS EZ Cue catalog provided in this listing. I was considering buying the CD-Rs since they purport to have every single issue. There’s a slightly cheaper option where the seller offers to only provide the more exciting tracks and omit the more prosaic ones.

web.archive.org/web/20171103054914/http://www.ioffer.com/i/cbs-records-ez-cue-library-production-music-613803406

Mr

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2020, 05:40:36 PM »
Thanks for the photos!
Very useful, I've identified the source of these German cues - it's one Beco Musikverlag (BC), a German film music publisher.

apmnut

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2020, 09:59:25 PM »
So THAT'S what "BC" stands for - looks like the mystery of where the older-sounding Trede cues came from is solved - unless Trede provided these to Beco directly from his own library.

Upgrade

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2020, 04:08:30 AM »
I was doing some spot checking of the tape reels. I was able to confirm that the Jazz Time 1 (GTC 18) CD has tracks from the CBS EZ Cue Jazz LP (EZQ-172). Of course the track lengths are off by a few seconds

https://imgur.com/a/HCRU5UT

Namely, "Bach 'N' Forth" on the Jazz tape is "Jazz im Bach Stil" (Jazz in Bach Style) on the CD. 4:41 vs. 4:44

"Modern Jazz (Blues)" on the Jazz tape is "Jazz Blues" on the CD. 4:52 vs. 4:56

"Modern Jazz (City-Sound)" on the Jazz tape is "City Sound" on the CD.  3:03 vs. 3:08

Meanwhile the CBS EZ Cue Jazz / Bossa Nova LP (EZQ-173) has other tracks from the same CD.

"Modern Jazz (Medium Slow)" on the LP is "Moderately Slow" on the CD. 4:11 vs. 4:13

I also realize a lot of the 5/4 jazz tracks on the CD are riffing off of Dave Brubeck's "Take Five" in order to be legally dissimilar.

The Gerhard Trede - All Over The World ‎12 Pop And Dance Music CD has a "Mister Beat" described as typical beat music sax + guitar which is 3:08.

The CBS EZ Cue Rock 'N' Roll LP (EZQ 174) also has a "Mister Beat" described as medium soft rock at 3:05.

Unfortunately, I don't have the CBS recording, but that might be worth something to check.

The extremely similar titles between the EZ Cue versions and the CDs is a bit cross-eye inducing especially when the track lengths are off by 30 to 60 seconds usually indicating an incorrect match.

These have no BC prefix, I guess they may have been licensed from Trede's library. I wonder how they were issued in Germany.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 04:43:11 AM by Upgrade »