Author Topic: I could use some guidance on finding stuff.  (Read 222 times)

ArgleBargle

I could use some guidance on finding stuff.
« on: April 29, 2020, 09:11:03 PM »
So I'm here, like many people, because of Spider-Man 67 and its music.

I have managed to get most of the KPM stuff myself.

It's the other stuff that I'm having a harder time finding, and I've seen youtube posts like this one - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPfeOcuk-K4&list=PLmspJJ91HQR8NO0zlkOoOui674Z3KiU3R&index=1

mention Jimmy Rich and Library Themes. (Which is how I got here)

So the stuff I'm looking for is by people like William Loose, Emil Cadkin, Jack Cookerly, Heinz Neubrand, Robert Sharples, Larry Ashmore, Heinrich Feischner, Hubert Daum, Howard Blake, Moneta Eagles, Spencer Moore, Don Banks etc.

All the stuff that isn't as well known as the KPM stuff.

My issue is that I've tried using the search engine with these names, but when I do, I get the cues list and not much else. I look under labels like Capitol, JW etc. and I get some hits but often are just the Library cues list again.

I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong, and how to go about finding stuff.

I was hoping that someone could give me some pointers on how to find specific artists/music.

Sorry if I come across as demanding, I'm just hoping I'm not completely oblivious as to how I'm supposed to find stuff!

Thanks!

Retronic

• Administrator
Re: I could use some guidance on finding stuff.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 08:59:43 AM »
There are a great many releases that haven't been digitized either by the labels themselves or fans of the music, so they are hard to find.
Discogs will help you find what LPs individual tracls are on or what releases a certain composer has out there.   In the early days I would judge by a title or album decription and buy it blind.  It's the only way to find everything- if you have the LP in your hand you know for sure what was or wasn't on it.

This place is not a library of everything by any means but it's a good indicator of what is out there.

Mr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 12:35:22 PM »
If you're just generally looking for cues by these composers, you can find a good overview in our Labels sub-forum - just use the search bar in the top right while you're there and it'll pull up all posts with the term in it - for instance "Larry Ashmore".

If you're looking for specific releases, try posting a thread in the Requests sub-forum, and people will help you out :)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 12:36:59 PM by Mr »

ArgleBargle

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2020, 11:36:04 AM »
I'll take a look, thanks for the advice!

digdeeper

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2020, 03:19:43 PM »
I can also recommend getting this:
https://shop.mexicansummer.com/product/david-hollander-unusual-sounds/

It is a nice introduction into library music history. There are also a couple of other books on the topic, but for instance The Music Library by FUEL Publishing is mainly cover scans, while The Mood Modern by Vocalion Books is only about KPM and Bruton (two biggies).