Author Topic: Creston Studios/TV Spots stock music  (Read 332 times)

smazzini016

Creston Studios/TV Spots stock music
« on: April 26, 2020, 01:00:37 AM »
As an animator and animation enthusiast, I've been getting pretty interested in the output of Creston Studios (formerly known as TV spots)

For those of you who don't know, Creston was an animation studio that was active in the 1950s and 1960s, which was responsible for animating the earliest episodes of "King Leonardo and His Short Subjects", a few episodes of Popeye (the 1960 King Features television show), a singular episode of "The New 3 Stooges", and the short-lived animated sitcom, "Calvin and The Colonel"

All except for the latter, the studio frequently used stock music from the Impress and Conroy labels. (And possibly other libraries that were also available through the Emil Ascher catalogue at the time). Of course, some of the cues they used, such as "Tom Fool" (Van Phillips) and "Poppin' Around" (Bruce Campbell) have become cult classics due to its appearances on newer shows like Spongebob, and are unmistakable. But I'm more interested in finding the identities (and recordings) of a few of the more obscure tracks they used. I'll go ahead and mention the ones that really caught my interest.

The lively, jazzy tune that opened "Fort Knox Fox" , a short subject from King Leonardo, featuring The Hunter.
(The cartoon is available on a Total Television collection on the Internet Archive)

The happy flute tune that closes the Popeye cartoon "The Last Resort"
https://youtu.be/IlHqxfGnp8w

The opening cue from the Popeye cartoon "Jeopardy Sheriff", **which was also heard in a 1960 commercial for Chevrolet's 'OK Used Cars', which also used a cue that would later be identified as "Bargains Galore" by Dennis Berry, which was originally released on the Conroy label in 1959. The other cue may be from Conroy as well, but I can't prove anything.**

https://youtu.be/_8kXvFlS7HM
https://youtu.be/j01Eol8r5fw

A dozen of the bridges and stings heard frequently in their Popeye cartoons, with the exception of "Pretty Pickle", and "Beginner's Luck", since they've already been rediscovered. (all cartoons are listed in sites such as wikipedia, usually under "Gerald Ray Studios").

There are some more, but I don't want to get too carried away. I hope I can receive a lead to at least one of these mystery cues. I've always loved hearing these vintage cues in cartoons such as these

« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 01:09:33 AM by smazzini016 »

apmnut

Re: Creston Studios/TV Spots stock music
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 02:12:04 AM »
Can't help you with any of these unfortunately, but I'm betting the "Fort Knox Fox" opener is from Impress, as I know they had a decent lot of jazzy tracks in their library.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 02:13:42 AM by apmnut »

stackjackson

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 03:34:41 AM »
We need to get Lord Thames in on this one ;)
| Stack |

apmnut

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 02:33:26 AM »
For the bridges and stings, I have a Conroy 78 of "Comedy Bridges" composed by Bob Sharples, hopefully those have some of the cues you're looking for!