Author Topic: What Equipment Does LMT Use for Playback and Recording?  (Read 258 times)

Slothish

• Slothy's Pigeonshit
What Equipment Does LMT Use for Playback and Recording?
« on: April 19, 2020, 08:09:28 PM »
I work in online retail selling headphones mainly, so I'm interested in what's being used among LMT users. There doesn't seem to be a thread about this already so as I'm curious I thought I'd start one. Does your library fanaticism spill over into hardware?

As you'd probably guess I have some very nice/expensive headphones and earphones, but my amp and speaker setup consists of some very midrange stuff from the late 90s. I'm not upgrading as my cockatiel likes to either join in with the music, or overreact and be scared by odd sounds, so headphones is where the money's gone.

The headphones I use most are a cheap(ish) wireless Sennheiser model, RS170, which is a lossless type/not bluetooth; convenience tends to trump any gains in quality most of the time. For Sunday best, I have a Final D8000 which takes my breath away with a good recording. After getting that, I have not lusted after another headphone.

Interestingly, at work we ended up hob-nobbing with Bowers and Wilkins a few years back as they wanted to chat with us about the headphone market and we ended up on a tour of their R&D facility in West Sussex, UK. They have a listening room with some top-notch gear in there amounting to some tens of thousands of pounds worth. The engineers are very keen-eared and refused to remove a battered old couch as it ruined the sound of the place to have it gone!

I managed to have a favourite library track played there - Nick Ingman's Trip Wire - it sounded sensational, and the chief engineer asked me what it was, as he thought it to be an excellent demo track!

I've ripped my fair share of vinyl although these tend to be of cheap pick-ups at car-boot sales and of dubious musical quality (Klaus Wonderlich et al.)! I use a Goldring GR1 turntable which is about as good as it gets for the £130 I parted with back in 2005. Then out of the RCA outputs on the back of the amp meant for a tape deck and into the old PC. With some LPs I have been known to go through and remove pops by hand, but I'm still enjoying them years later.

So any details of your audio gear and related stories would be appreciated! Spill your audio beans!

stackjackson

• Administrator
Re: What Equipment Does LMT Use for Playback and Recording?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 04:26:36 AM »
I've never been much of an audiophile in terms of equipment, even in my old record store days. For the past 20 years or so I'm pretty much only using (wired) headphones... maybe it has something to do with the switch to digital back around 2000 and me on the computer all the time. At any rate, I've been happy with my Philips O'Neill TR 55LX headphones, which I think sound good and are very comfortable. They replaced a surprisingly nice pair of Koss PORTA-PRO (those still work great for portable folding headphones, btw).
| Stack |

Mr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 08:43:47 PM »
I must admit to have a pretty pragmatic approach to gear - I've always just used what I had or found, really. I've been through a lot of gear since I first started collecting and digitizing vinyl, but am currently using an old Technics stereo setup from the mid-to-late-80's, complete with CD and tape player modules, of course. In the past I've been through quite a few turntables, speakers and amps, but the coolest-looking one must be the B&O Beocenter 2000 I had some years back. My old Technics turntable has been a bit dodgy the last few years and finally broke a while back. I've been trying to fix it on my own, but finally caved and ordered an ATLP120 to replace it a short while ago.

Funny you mention the Koss ones, Stack, I had nearly forgotten about those! They used to have a really nice, relaxed warranty system for these back in the day, so I've worn out quite a number of Porta Pros, haha. For day-to-day usage; listening while walking outside, commuting etc., I usually just use some cheap in-ear headphones - as they'll likely break after a few months of usage regardless of price.
I don't really have the space for a proper speaker setup, so I mostly listen on headphones or a small 2.1 system I have set up. I currently do most of my 'active' listening on some old big leather overear type "cans". I'm actually not sure what make/model they are, Vavanco(?) or something like that - the label is too worn to tell. I also have a set of AKG K514s and Sennheiser HD 201s as backups. Tried some noise cancelling ones a while back, but didn't enjoy that.

Slothish

• Slothy's Pigeonshit
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2020, 06:16:21 PM »
I can confirm the Porta Pro is excellent for the money; it's a nice bit of 80s chic at the same time, in the case of the Classic model.

I've had a bit of an interest in vintage models for a while. I was lucky enough to get an AKG K240DF about 20 years ago which was my first decent pair, I was pretty much buying blind at the time. The midrange on the K240DF is amazing with the right amp.

There's also the K240 Sextett which I have a couple of, these are similarly nice. The K240s are designed for studio use so are quite hardwearing. Not suitable for connecting to a phone though, as they require more power to sound good. Another good vintage model (not for phones) is the Sennheiser HD540, and it might be possible to pick up an old HD580 quite cheap.

I mention all this as they've allowed me to enjoy music so much more than I would have otherwise. Keep an eye out for these at your local thrift store/garage sale etc. There's no reason to spend big bucks.

You may have guessed that headphones are another of my weird interests, much like library music.. but it makes sense as one enhances the other so much!

JustJoe

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2020, 08:07:24 AM »
Slothish - did you go by Slothy at one time? I used to frequent a library fan site called Vinylophiles back around 2008 is why I'm asking.

shadok

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2020, 09:05:03 AM »
Slothish - did you go by Slothy at one time? I used to frequent a library fan site called Vinylophiles back around 2008 is why I'm asking.

Hi Justjoe
That's funny you talk about Vinylophiles, i was a member at the time and since i wonder where are all the familiar names that used to share records on this great board.
I remember Quitdum, one of the most active members who used a Piero Umiliani avatar.
I discovered library music thanks to these guys.

Est-ce que tu es français, par hasard? Est-ce que tu te souviens d'autres noms?

Slothish

• Slothy's Pigeonshit
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2020, 07:40:40 PM »

Ah no, it wasn't me - I've never heard of that site unfortunately. It sounds like it might have been worth checking out! I have usually used the handle Slothy however. The link under my pic goes to my blog called Slothy's Pigeonshit. Plug plug.

Slothy might be a common name as it was already taken here and I had to go with Slothish.  ::) It's growing on me though.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 07:44:59 PM by Slothish »