Author Topic: Unknown 1960s cartoon music  (Read 510 times)

apmnut

Unknown 1960s cartoon music
« on: January 31, 2019, 12:38:10 AM »

Does anyone here know the name of the nice jaunty music which opens this TV cartoon from the 1960s? All I know about it is that it's from the Gordon Zahler library, and *might* be an Al Sack piece. Could be Mozart Edition, as Zahler had the ME catalogue when these were made, but I very much doubt it.

smazzini016

Re: Unknown 1960s cartoon music
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 12:20:29 AM »
This probably won't answer much, but it should potentially help us narrow down which cues were recycled film tracks and which ones were sourced from Emil Ascher or Mozart Edition.

https://youtu.be/dLc4JQLHFdA

For example, at around the 4:10 mark in this Popeye cartoon, ("Sheepish Sheep Herder" which was produced at Larry Harmon Pictures, a studio that had its music sourced from Gordon Zahler's General Music Corp.) as I was watching it, I noticed how suspicious a few of these cues sounded, in that, they sounded nothing like the typical JW Theme Music needledrop. They sounded somewhat outdated, even by 1960.

The cue that begins at 4:10 appears to be a Darrell Calker piece. (At least, that's my best guess, given the way it sounds) The track noticeably has a larger orchestra, so I am guessing it was a recycled film track, but that's just my own opinion.

At 4:22, another cue, one that was obviously recorded DECADES before 1960 is spliced in. It doesn't even sound like it was recorded for any specific library. It almost sounds like recycled incidental music from an early talkie (which it may very well be). The difference is especially noticeable once it switches to a newer sounding cue at around the 4:54 mark.

In short, this is kind of a dead giveaway for identifying which cues were recycled from older films. This probably doesn't help much, but at least we might have a better idea of which cues could very well still be found in the form of an old library 78/tape.

As for the track in question, I believe it may have been a library recording. Possibly Mozart Edition.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 12:26:34 AM by smazzini016 »