Author Topic: The Sound Library compilation series (all links and updates).  (Read 30075 times)

tuneboy

Re: The Sound Library compilation series (all links and updates).
« Reply #240 on: February 11, 2021, 02:06:53 PM »

Greetings, fellow librarians!

Here are 4 new comps I just finished to combat lockdown fatigue and covid depression, to be inhaled through the ears. For best effect, use good speakers. Mask not required.

Sound Library vol 50 - Just Library 12 (Anti-Covid edition)
hxxps://mega.nz/folder/XaBS2bzD#yQd-SFNJZR_akYBkUuvGBA
Sound Library vol 51 - LMT Wonderbox 1
hxxps://mega.nz/folder/jLZiBZDJ#bG7LP29sWToSyHW2wyJq-w
Sound Library vol 66 - Homo Exoticus Goes Space
hxxps://mega.nz/folder/XTAESbxZ#sdjOm8DLaYhsRjbRnVQLxg
Sound Library vol 101 - Speedy Vivace
hxxps://mega.nz/folder/ueZSjRTZ#ciWHNwjcdlGYP_kyMLsMRA

Here are some notes about them:

Vol 50 - Just Library 12:
I recap the idea behind the "Just Library" titles: These are tracks I find spread around on library albums that may not be sensational killer material, but have some mood or melodic flairs that appeals to me. They are very typical library music, often poppy and tuneful, sometimes even charmingly trivial. ("Just Library 11" is in the works but not yet finished.)

Vol 51 - LMT Wonderbox 1:
Deep in my secret underground vault in the Northern Arctic wastes,
guarded by polar bears and sea lions and killer shrimps, I have a folder called "LMT downloads". From that I have picked freely, so vol 51 contains none of my own rips, only stuff previosuly shared here, on LMT, by YOU, good people. I have cleaned some tracks when necessary, and a very few were originally mp3s, here converted to flac. In overall mood I think it's very close to the "Just Library" volumes, with the difference that it also contains soundtracks and easy listening and other stuff, and I've used a more "random" way of selecting. I'm sure I will do more "LMT Wonderboxes" later on, when I get the time to listen through more in my "LMT" megafolder. More unpredictable than my regular comps, I guess, and that's probably a good thing. Technical note:
When I merge all the tracks to one file in order to adjust levels and spaces, I obviously loose all tagging and metadata, so some of you will find your own rips with my (simplified) new tagging.

Vol 66 - Homo Exoticus Goes Space
Early electronics and avantgarde synth experiments are not my cuppa, but I do like Bernard Fèvre, and my two Koka Media comps speak for themselves. But most early synth records have sounds that are too sharp and piercing for my poor grew-up-in-the-70s eardrums. And it doesn't help that the first signs of tinnitus have finally caught up with me, making it harder to clean the tracks for these comps manually. So this volume is an anomaly. Here I've tried to blend some old, mildly weird exotica with more modern soundscapes with a quasi-futuristc or retro-futuristic flair. The recordings span several decades. It's vaguely related to "Vol 9 - Android Dreams". This is undoubtedly the strangest comp I've made so far. I hope some will find it interesting. Should be listended to in a dark room. I love the idea of Earthlings stranded in a jungle of strange forms on a remote planet. The front cover is from an old science fiction magazine in my collection.

Vol 101 - Speedy Vivace:
I just dig fast tunes when played with some elegance. I use to collect them and put them aside whenever I find them, but they usually don't fit well with tunes of other kinds. So when the "Speedy" folder was full, it was time for this comp. Fun stuff, I hope. They give me a feeling that something needs to be done in a hurry. Or that the musicians are sitting in an ant-heap when they play. Or they've had too many cups of espresso with loads of sugar. It's vaguely related to "Vol 267 - Busy Streets".

Greta

• Administrator
« Reply #241 on: February 11, 2021, 03:18:48 PM »
Just beautiful! Thank you Tuneboy.
I specially like the Homo Exoticus one.
G.

tuneboy

« Reply #242 on: February 18, 2021, 01:54:55 PM »
Sound Library vol 52 - LMT Wonderbox 2
hxxps://mega.nz/folder/ua5jRIhT#srrvri7e_VnaREArKaL7DA

(I rediscovered Ball Bearing Group in connection with this, so they got 3 tracks on it. It's just as good as any McDonald/Rae. Why don't anybody make a good official comp of the records by that group? Where is Sonorama? Where is Four Flies? Where is Sonor? Or have I missed something?)

kimhill

• instagram.com/kimhill
    • Instagram
« Reply #243 on: February 19, 2021, 06:45:50 AM »
Good stuff- thanks!

Greta

• Administrator
« Reply #244 on: February 20, 2021, 08:13:07 PM »
Yep, thank you!
G.