Author Topic: Except vinyl and CDs, what to collect?  (Read 608 times)

le_tomval

• Tom Val Records
Except vinyl and CDs, what to collect?
« on: September 04, 2018, 07:28:15 AM »
The question is simple. Everywhere I read only about vinyl and CDs (I think it's 99,99% of everyone collection), but what about others stuff ? Somebody said "catalogues" and tapes, but never seen any of them, does anybody have more informations ?

Upgrade

Re: Except vinyl and CDs, what to collect?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 09:53:50 PM »
I have a couple of library music 78s from KPM (some are still called the KP Library) and Brulll-Harmonic, though most are also made of vinyl rather than the traditional shellac.

Depending on your definition of library music, I also have 16 inch radio transcription discs which recorded mainstream artists for standard programming library blocks. CP MacGregor did put out some early shellac 78s as well.

Id be interested to know if any library music companies put out 8 tracks, though Im sure there are cassettes.

There was a recent ebay listing for a Capitol Hi-Q reel to reel tape, though the lack of branded packaging suggests that its a generic duplicate.

ebay.com/itm/CAPITOL-RECORDS-HI-Q-SERIES-L-144-REEL-TO-REEL-TAPE-15-I-P-S-LIBRARY-MUSIC-/302853462996

le_tomval

• Tom Val Records
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 12:02:17 PM »
Thanks for your message.

Mr

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 10:16:38 PM »
Catalogues don't show up too often, unfortunately. I've seen a few Capitol Hi-"Q" reels pop up on occasion, though. 78s are very plentiful, I have about a literal half a ton. You may also find some old library software on some of the pre-internet CD releases.

What to collect, other than that? Whatever you feel like, really. Many of us collect digital files, too, for instance - heh. And knowledge!
Personally, I try to collect various pieces of library memorabilia - wherever they may show up. I have a few pieces of Italian sheet music from C.A.M. and Ariete, two cue sheets from the BBC archives, an old Italian composer catalogue, pamphlets from Cinedelic's reissue of the Ayna Records LPs - and a surely Jean-Pierre Decerf and Bernard Fvre-approved miniKorg-700 ;)
I some library LPs were accompanied by letters addressed to the people who ordered them, or with general info about upcoming releases and such. These are cool little artifacts one can try to collect, too.

le_tomval

• Tom Val Records
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 11:56:31 AM »
Yes, that's right ! I wanted to talk about memorabilia !
If you have pictures of that, it would be a pleasure to see them.

Mr

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 10:52:57 PM »
I recently picked up an old Kemp's Film & Television Year Book, an in-industry sort of directory for film and TV production-related services - you know, for those times you need a seamstress, helicopter pilot or pyro technician for your TV movie.
There are a few production music libraries listed in the book, and the rear cover features a neat little KPM ad urging you to literally phone up Robin Phillips himself!

Your Pal Doug

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 08:36:05 PM »
I recently picked up an old Kemp's Film & Television Year Book....the rear cover features a neat little KPM ad urging you to literally phone up Robin Phillips himself!

That's really cool!

digdeeper

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2019, 07:08:53 PM »
There are a few production music libraries listed in the book, and the rear cover features a neat little KPM ad urging you to literally phone up Robin Phillips himself!

Did you try to call him?