Author Topic: Unknown library cues heard in DragonBall Z and Pokemon  (Read 143 times)

kenisu3000

Unknown library cues heard in DragonBall Z and Pokemon
« on: November 17, 2021, 10:14:15 AM »
Hi!

I'm looking to ID several library cues from anime, with a primary focus on DragonBall and Pocket Monsters (Pokemon). While I'd consider myself a film score fan veteran, I'm new to the library part of that, and though it's great to see that there's so much documentation on what's out there (where before I'd assumed it was ALL a big nebulous mystery), I'm more than a little daunted at the sheer scope of it.

Even though pretty much everything I'm looking for is over 20 years old, that still means sifting through thousands of labels, hundreds of thousands of albums, and millions of individual tracks. I could never live long enough to comb through it all, and I tend to be terrible at picking the right genre tags to narrow my search with.

I have at least started. But I thought it wouldn't hurt to throw a few things out there to the veterans just on the off-chance you guys might recognize something.

First off is this "welcome to the Big Apple"-style cue from DragonBall, when Goku first sets foot in Metro West. It also plays in the next episode when the female bounty hunter Husky arrives in the same city. If it helps, these episodes aired in December 1986.

Next is a meditation theme heard much later, as Goku is learning how to tap into the silence around him so he can more easily catch fish. This episode aired 28 September 1988.

I'm also looking for a few things that show up in the Pokemon anime. There is a short fanfare that really interested me, because I thought it was written by the series composer Shinji Miyazaki -- until I found out the same exact cue had been heard in the Arthur cartoon on PBS. The latest it would have been recorded is 1998. I'm also interested in the carousel cue, because it also appeared in a DragonBall Z movie. That means the latest it would have been recorded is March 1994.

(fanfare at 0:21, carousel theme at 1:09)

And then there's THIS, heard in a Pokemon radio drama. I'm not sure if it's library or not, but I love it to pieces and desperately want to find it. It's some kind of ethnic tune, with flutes and bongos, and has a fantastic "nostalgia" feel to it. Once again 1998 would be the latest it was recorded.

(starts at 7:20.)

Of course, I imagine these come from labels and creators that don't fuss too much about copyright, otherwise the cues would be easily ID'd by YouTube's content ID system and mentioned in the description box.

There are plenty of others I'm looking for, but I figure this is enough for now. Any help, even if it's just to narrow the search a little, would be very much appreciated! Thank you!

Moleoman

Re: Unknown library cues heard in DragonBall Z and Pokemon
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2021, 12:57:10 PM »
I'm also looking for a few things that show up in the Pokemon anime. There is a short fanfare that really interested me, because I thought it was written by the series composer Shinji Miyazaki -- until I found out the same exact cue had been heard in the Arthur cartoon on PBS. The latest it would have been recorded is 1998. I'm also interested in the carousel cue, because it also appeared in a DragonBall Z movie. That means the latest it would have been recorded is March 1994.

(fanfare at 0:21, carousel theme at 1:09)

Both of these cues were sourced from Sound Ideas' sound effects library:
The first fanfare ("Fanfare, Theme 2A") comes from Series 4000 Hollywood Sound Effects Library set: h++ps://soundideas,sourceaudio,com/#!details?id=7626672
The second cue ("Music, Theme - 'Circus' or 'Carousel'") comes from Series 1000 Sound Effects Library set: h++ps://soundideas,sourceaudio,com/#!details?id=7635798

kenisu3000

Re: Unknown library cues heard in DragonBall Z and Pokemon
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2021, 05:11:32 PM »
Wow, that didn't take long at all! Huge thanks, Moleoman! In fact that Sound Ideas library has a couple of other cues I was looking for (but didn't mention)!