Author Topic: VA - Science Fiction Movie Themes (1991)  (Read 711 times)

merdam

VA - Science Fiction Movie Themes (1991)
« on: October 17, 2021, 10:43:10 AM »
VA - Science Fiction Movie Themes (1991)

Various - Blade Runner-Vangelis (3:31)
Various - 2001 A Space Odyssey-Richard Strauss (4:34)
Various - Alien-Jerry Goldsmith (2:35)
Various - Return of the Jedi-John Williams (3:49)
Various - Star Wars-John Williams (2:36)
Various - ET-John Williams (4:01)
Various - Black Hole-Baxter (1:46)
Various - Silent Moon-Wagener (4:47)
Various - Battlestar Galactica-Stu Phillips (3:54)
Various - Die Unendliche Geschichte-Klaus Doldinger (2:30)
Various - Das Arche Noah Prinzip-Hubert Bartholomae (3:20)
Various - Raumpatrouille Orion-Peter Thomas (4:46)
Various - Cosmic Wind-Peter Thomas (2:56)
Various - Time Tunnel-John Williams (1:17)
Various - Twilight Zone-Marius Constant (2:01)
Various - Star Trek-Jerry Goldsmith (3:17)
Various - Close Encounters-John Williams (2:05)
Various - War of the Worlds-Leith Stevens (1:26)
Various - Raiders of the Lost Ark-John Williams (3:35)

https://www.mediafire.com/file/xrvrgryomjm0o72/VA_-_Science_Fiction_Movie_Themes_%25281991%2529.rar/file
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 10:44:46 AM by merdam »

Prolet

Re: VA - Science Fiction Movie Themes (1991)
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 01:30:58 PM »
By the way - these are interpreted versions of the movie themes played by Neil Norman and his Cosmic Orchestra. I found Neil Norman's interpretations quite interesning. Thanks!

Andrew

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2021, 01:31:39 AM »
Thanks!

I found this on the net:

1984 - Sounds Of The Universe - Neil Norman & His Cosmic Orchestra / Funky Space Orchestra

pixeldrain.com/u/sSMvczqE

keir

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2021, 08:02:01 PM »
Is it possible to find a list of the names Neil Norman went by anywhere? His work under his own name is relatively well known - from what Prolet said he was also G.S.O./Galactic Sound Orchestra (who the OP's post was credited to). Was he also Funky Space Orchestra, to just over half of the tracks on Sounds of the Universe* credited?

*That's this 13-track vinyl version, which is 7 Funky/6 Norman: the 17-track CD version is interesting, it's Neil Norman's name on the cover and disc, but the credits on the back reveal the track split to be 12 Funky/5 Norman!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 09:19:53 PM by keir »

Prolet

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2021, 07:40:00 PM »
Is it possible to find a list of the names Neil Norman went by anywhere? His work under his own name is relatively well known - from what Prolet said he was also G.S.O./Galactic Sound Orchestra (who the OP's post was credited to). Was he also Funky Space Orchestra, to just over half of the tracks on Sounds of the Universe* credited?

*That's this 13-track vinyl version, which is 7 Funky/6 Norman: the 17-track CD version is interesting, it's Neil Norman's name on the cover and disc, but the credits on the back reveal the track split to be 12 Funky/5 Norman!

I heard it from a guy that was disappointed by these releases because he expected the original soundtrack versions. According to him Neil Norman had lots of aliases in order to make people buy his lousy interpretations. I have to say that this is not that far fetched. There are some identical tracks on various albums - e.g. on these two cd's "Raumpatrouille Orion" is identical, so is "Star Wars", "Black Hole", "Close Encounters", "Battlestar Galactica" and "E.T."

I don't like all of his interpretations but I think some are really well done. E.g. "Raumpatrouille Orion" is almost better than the original - IMHO...

keir

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2021, 01:13:34 AM »

I heard it from a guy that was disappointed by these releases because he expected the original soundtrack versions. According to him Neil Norman had lots of aliases in order to make people buy his lousy interpretations. I have to say that this is not that far fetched. There are some identical tracks on various albums - e.g. on these two cd's "Raumpatrouille Orion" is identical, so is "Star Wars", "Black Hole", "Close Encounters", "Battlestar Galactica" and "E.T."

I don't like all of his interpretations but I think some are really well done. E.g. "Raumpatrouille Orion" is almost better than the original - IMHO...

He was ahead of the curve - nowadays on Spotify it's easy to find a lot of "these ten lousy cover versions under ten different names you've never heard of are clearly all the same recording".

Manny Fagnett

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2021, 11:22:42 AM »
Thanks for the uploads, guys. I do enjoy a bit of Neil Norman and his cosmic orchestra.