Author Topic: Hello! Happy to be here and share our story!  (Read 2976 times)

DumpsterVinyl

Re: Hello! Happy to be here and share our story!
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2021, 06:44:21 PM »
Yeah, going through and adding that then will likely be on the to-do list, lol.

Side question: A lot of the inner sleeves are either ripped up badly or just completely sleeveless.  Worth it to swap out beat-up inner sleeves? And are there any inner sleeves you all would recommend?  There seems to be a variety on Amazon and wildly different price points and I don't know if the cheap ones are garbage or if the expensive ones are overpriced.

stackjackson

• Administrator
    • GrooveRevolution
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2021, 07:31:57 PM »
I'd also like to go back and add catalog numbers.  Didn't realize how important those were.  Would be a whole lot easier to sort the lists that way in the spreadsheet.  But I suppose I can pluck most of those from Discogs, too.

You can find all the numbers here in our exhaustive Labels section => https://librarymusicthemes.net/index.php?topic=477.0
| Stack |

DumpsterVinyl

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2021, 07:59:53 PM »
I'd also like to go back and add catalog numbers.  Didn't realize how important those were.  Would be a whole lot easier to sort the lists that way in the spreadsheet.  But I suppose I can pluck most of those from Discogs, too.

You can find all the numbers here in our exhaustive Labels section => https://librarymusicthemes.net/index.php?topic=477.0

DumpsterVinyl

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2021, 12:43:41 AM »
Welp, we just picked up a Sony PS-LX310BT Turntable.  Bluetooth and USB in one.  Got an open box deal at BestBuy.  Up and running within 10 minutes.

First album we're listening to is Vecchio's Afro-Rock.  Our collector friend, when informing us of the world of Library Music said he has that album himself not because he's a library collector, but because it's just a good album.  He's right.  And we're happy that our copy is clean front to back, save for a few pops at the top of Side B, but I think what's causing it is cleanable. 

And so begins our journey of listening to as much of this as we can!

In the meantime, if anyone goes through our list and happens to see anything I have that isn't available on here, I can try and rip it (still need to learn how to do that properly) and add it to the collection!

Retronic

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2021, 07:29:10 AM »
That’s a great start! Check out Big Beat on De Wolfe. Big green cover with an elephant on it. 

I agree with Stack about the Robert Hall’s.  They are less prolific and I’ve only heard a few over the years. I’d love to hear some of them. 

Uvuzau

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2021, 07:44:28 AM »
BTW i noticed two things,
Im not sure are you aware of discogs grading system for vinyl?
And people say its not really good to stack records on top of each other :D
cheers

Retronic

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2021, 09:56:33 AM »
I think they said they were only stacked like that when they came out of the bin and are now bookshelf style :-)

Uvuzau

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2021, 11:36:15 AM »
ill have to read more carefully then :D

DumpsterVinyl

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2021, 12:53:37 PM »
Correct, that's how they pulled them out of the dumpster.  And, embrassaingly, that's how we had them the first couple of days before someone mentioned that's not ideal.  We didn't know, lol.  They are all properly shelved now. 

That’s a great start! Check out Big Beat on De Wolfe. Big green cover with an elephant on it. 

I agree with Stack about the Robert Hall’s.  They are less prolific and I’ve only heard a few over the years. I’d love to hear some of them. 

Yeah, Big Beat is our most "valuable" record and it's available on Spotify so we've been able to hear what it sounds like ahead of time.  Such a good album.  Didn't get around to listening to it last night though.

I had no idea anyone would be interested in the Robert Hall stuff, lol.  Cataloging it was such a slog because there's no artists, no album cover, no album titles, just generic titling and a catalog number and that's it and usually it was sound effects that aren't that exciting or there was no record of it (on Discogs anyway).  I suppose that last part is kind of exciting, will be interesting to find whats on those albums.

Last night we listened to "Afro-Rock" (awesome), "Black Pearl" (solid mix), "Big Hammer" (phenomenal), "More Electric Banana" (great), and "In Motion" (excellent!).  With the exception of the last track on In Motion which skipped a bit, everything played clean or had very minor pops or disruptions.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 01:01:09 PM by DumpsterVinyl »

Retronic

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2021, 01:10:24 PM »
My copy of In Motion is really noisy- not pops and clicks, just general noise.  I’ve tried a mega clean but b-side is crap. 
Check out Misty Canyon from My Thing on Southern. 

stackjackson

• Administrator
    • GrooveRevolution
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2021, 01:34:46 PM »
I had no idea anyone would be interested in the Robert Hall stuff, lol.  Cataloging it was such a slog because there's no artists, no album cover, no album titles, just generic titling and a catalog number and that's it and usually it was sound effects that aren't that exciting or there was no record of it (on Discogs anyway).  I suppose that last part is kind of exciting, will be interesting to find whats on those albums.

Nah, not the sound effects, but the RH-100s, RH-200s, plus any New World series. The Robert Halls are actually your rarest stuff here. Some real gems on that label. Perhaps most famous for Russ Meyer film cues.
| Stack |

Retronic

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2021, 01:36:50 PM »
Exactly! I have only one LP I think - the Vixen/ Cherry, Harry & Raquel one.  205-206?

DumpsterVinyl

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2021, 02:06:32 PM »
Wow! That's incredible. So glad I found this forum I never wouldve known any of this stuff, lol. Or should I say, I'm glad Reddit user IAmBrando directed me here.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 02:10:17 PM by DumpsterVinyl »

Greta

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2021, 12:00:03 PM »
Hi DumpsterVinyl,
I see now your list. Great! You found such a great trove of libs.
English monsters are all there, KPM, Bruton, Rouge, Sylvester, Hudson, Southern..

Actually yes, it's been a little hard, without catalog numbers, to go through the list to see what I'm missing for example.
You know, one day, when you'll be a ripping expert, I will ask you for some rips, lol.

For now, have fun listening, and cataloguing, and cleaning...
G.

digdeeper

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2021, 05:50:57 PM »
Hi DumpsterVinyl,

Incredible story and heartwarming to see these gems saved from the trash compactor - as we all know, they deserve better. And very considerate of you to share the discovery with us!