Author Topic: Hello! Happy to be here and share our story!  (Read 2994 times)

DumpsterVinyl

Hello! Happy to be here and share our story!
« on: February 15, 2021, 04:44:25 PM »
Hello there!  I was sent this forum through a post I had made on the /r/RetroLibraryMusic subreddit. My GF and I are fresh-faced to the world of Library Music. A little over a week ago, she stumbled upon a dumpster full of vinyl records at her workplace (hence the username). She pulled them out and started looking through them and shared photos with me and said "Should we bring this back home?" and I said, "Yes, absolutely."  I've wanted to start listening to records and collecting vinyl for a long time but never had the financial freedom to start buying records, so having a pile of records to go through sounded great.

Well, we were in for a bit of a surprise when we discovered they were all Library Music vinyl. All 928 of them.  We salvaged 928 Library Music records from a dumpster, hauled 20+ bags of vinyl from her office to our rental car which was a two-wheel-drive car with broken wipers in the middle of an ice storm, drove it back, and hauled probably 500lbs of this vinyl up two flights of stairs to our apartment.  We then spent the following several days cataloging all this vinyl and we now have a record of everything we have. And now we have to go back and alphabetize it all so we can actually find these records because they are all in completely random order, lol.

While we were hauling I was just thinking "This stuff better be worth something!" because I'll be honest, we saw that some of this stuff could be valuable and we saw it as an opportunity to make some money and put it towards a down payment on something, at the very least our rent, or either a vehicle or a home if we were really lucky. 

Well, with the help of a collector friend and the community over on Reddit, we discovered what this world actually was, what the histoy was, and how important it is to us without even knowing about it.  As we started discovering the value of these we got giddy, then as we started listening to them we fell in love.  We LOVE this music, and we are now keen on keeping a lot of this vinyl instead of selling it. The more we cataloged and the more we listened (online, we still don't have a turntable!) the more we realized this collection is going to be way more fun to keep and share our findings with the Library Music community. I'll copy and paste some stats I had posted over on Reddit here about our findings:

We salvaged 928 total albums from the dumpster. Of those 928:

• 470 are from Music De Wolfe
  • 78 are from Rouge
  • 54 are from Omnimusic
  • 47 are from Hudson Music
  • 45 are from The Southern Library of Recorded Music
  • 39 are from Robert Hall Productions
  • 38 are from Bruton Music
  • 35 are from KPM
  • 31 are from Sylvester Music Company

The rest are from a hodge podge of various labels and sound effects libraries.

We used Discogs.com's median value of previous sales to determine a rough estimation of what all these records were worth. We understand that not all the records are worth that, because many of these have covers in bad shape. That said the actual records, while many have imperfections here and there, are mostly in what seems to be decent shape. Our collector friend took a look at some photos that we were concerned about because we are n00bs to this, and he assures us that these flaws were not dealbreakers on the records integrity and likely not their playability either. But, many of the covers have seen better days. That said, considering where they've been, they could be a lot worse.

Because we were using that median value, we were able to highlight which ones carry more weight in the collection. Here's the top of the crop that we plucked out of the garbage:

• Nick Ingman's Big Beat (De Wolfe)
  • Rubba's In Motion (De Wolfe)
  • André Ceccarelli's Rythmes (De Wolfe)
  • Antonio Valotti's Blackout (Rouge)
  • Sven Libaek and his Orchestra's My Thing (Southern Library)
  • Every Electric Banana album except Hot Licks (we have two Even More Electric Banana albums [which are both 1st pressings])
  • Patchwork's Mean & Dirty (De Wolfe)
  • The Roger Webb Sound's Moonshade (De Wolfe)
  • Luis Vecchio's Afro-Rock (De Wolfe)
  • Keith Papwork's Hard Hitter (De Wolfe)
  • The Roger Webb Sound's Vocal Patterns (De Wolfe)
  • The London Studio Group's Abstractions of the Industrial North (De Wolfe)
  • The Lemon Dips' Who's Gonna Buy (De Wolfe, two copies)

As you might imagine, there's quite a bit more, but those are the biggies.

We were rather upset that there was so little KPM, and of the KPM there was, it was mostly stuff from the 80's, very little green label KPM. The more we learn about the history of Library music the more we realize how bad ass KPM was. Speaking of other labels, here's our top value album from each label:

• Bruton Music - Orlando Kimber and John Keliehor's East Meets West
  • Hudson Music - Take Six's Blueprint
  • KPM - Mike Vickers' A Moog For More Reasons
  • De Wolfe - Nick Ingman's Big Beat
  • Ominmusic - Doug Wood/Leer Paul Leary/John Van Eps/Bob Palladino's Tension
  • Robert Hall Productions - Musical Sounds RH-44
  • Rouge - Antonio Valotti's Blackout
  • Southern Library of Recorded Music - Sven Libaek and his Orchestra's My Thing
  • Sylvester Music Company - The Paris Studio Sound's Plaques Tournantes
  • NO RECORD LABEL - Bruce Clarke Jingle Workshop's Sonic Design

My girlfriend has been really digging listening to the KPM libraries on Spotify because we do not have them, which makes us a sad panda, but of the ones we do have that we can listen to in Spotify (we're still looking for a turntable, on a bit of a budget crunch), I think Hogan the Hawk & Dirty John Crown is our favorite.

So that's a highlight reel of what we got.  Instead of capitalizing on it and just selling them, we'd rather do something to share it with the community, but we're still trying to brainstorm ideas.  I know most of it is still under copyright (obviously with De Wolfe being the lion's share of the collection) so ripping them and sharing them publicly is pretty much out of the question, but we'd love to do some kind of educational/documentary-style content about the records.  I'm a videographer/filmmaker so doing so is not out of the realm of possibility, just trying to figure out the right method to do so and the right story to tell.  Was also thinking of starting a review blog and just going through the collection record by record.  Also thought doing live streaming listening parties would be cool but don't know that the copyright laws would like that.

Regardless, I'm happy to be here and share this story and share our findings with the community.  We love how passionate the community is and just how unique and important it is as well! Hope to be a good contributor to the forum and the community in the near future!  Thanks! 

Oh, and here are some photos she took after she and her boss pulled them out of the dumpster to give you an idea of the sheer volume of records we took (don't worry, they're not stacked anymore, lol):

Retronic

• Administrator
Re: Hello! Happy to be here and share our story!
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 05:40:24 PM »
Wowsers!  Very exciting.  I myself had a haul of 800 back in the day so know how if feels.   I would buy some of those off you in a heartbeat!  A lot of stuff has been shared over the years but you’re bound to have some rare gems in there. 
The entire Sylvester run is online as well as other labels so the value is in the vinyl itself.  I like to have the records if I can so if you’re selling I’m in!  Even if just selling your doubles. 

Great story.  And this is the biggest haul I’ve heard of for decades so you made a great choice. The best part of the story is that you both are falling in love with the music!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 05:54:08 PM by Retronic »

DumpsterVinyl

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 06:15:58 PM »
Wowsers!  Very exciting.  I myself had a haul of 800 back in the day so know how if feels.   I would buy some of those off you in a heartbeat!  A lot of stuff has been shared over the years but you’re bound to have some rare gems in there. 
The entire Sylvester run is online as well as other labels so the value is in the vinyl itself.  I like to have the records if I can so if you’re selling I’m in!  Even if just selling your doubles. 

Great story.  And this is the biggest haul I’ve heard of for decades so you made a great choice. The best part of the story is that you both are falling in love with the music!

We will probably eventually sell off a lot of them as we listen to them.  It's great to have a valuable record but if we don't actually care for the music, no point in hanging onto it.  But we don't want to sell any of them without having listened to them first.  Finding a place for 900+ records was a chore already, lol.

But yes, that is one of the best things about Library Music that I absolutely adore is the more valuable the record is the better the music is to listen to.  I think it's awesome that a collectible medium bases its value on the quality of the product and not the rarity of it.  It validates the artists who created it which is great.

So if the Sylvester archive is online does that mean it's public domain?  Or just that they've made it available to listen to? If any of this music is fair game to share publicly I'd love to make it available for folks, but I know a lot of it is still copyrighted.  At the very least, sharing like 15-30 seconds of some tracks to get an idea of the sound quality of these records would be nice if we decided to do some type of review series, but that's also a gray area. 

Retronic

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 06:27:10 PM »
We have shared on here for years but don’t share anything that is available to buy giving money back to the composers and companies whenever we can.  Labels have them online for audition purposes for those that want to license it to use. 

If you want to hear anything just ask. Then you’ll know what you’ve got.

I’d be interested in buying these:

* Rubba's In Motion (De Wolfe)- mines a bit noisy!
* Sven Libaek and his Orchestra's My Thing (Southern Library)
* Every Electric Banana album except Hot Licks (we have two Even More Electric Banana albums [which are both 1st pressings])
* The Roger Webb Sound's Moonshade (De Wolfe)
* The Roger Webb Sound's Vocal Patterns (De Wolfe)
* The London Studio Group's Abstractions of the Industrial North (De Wolfe)
* The Lemon Dips' Who's Gonna Buy (De Wolfe, two copies)

The Audio Technical LP-120’s are good especially the latter models.

I have had a few good hauls over the years including an amazing KPM one.   My first haul of 800 was like yours- all the KPM were the later 80’s ones with hardly any of the hot stuff. Picked them up though over the years.  Still need an original Afro Rock in KPM tho.

DumpsterVinyl

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2021, 07:06:34 PM »
We're definitely on a budget crunch for a turntable, and a Bluetooth capable one is ideal for us, at the moment.  We'd love to in the future upgrade to a proper big boy turntable and sound system, but we just do not have space in our apartment to accommodate that, nor the budget.  At the same time we want to digitize these, too, so I was hoping to find one that does both and up until last night had only found some weird Chinese brand on Amazon that had a lot of good reviews, but I'm not sure I trust it.  Then I discovered the Sony PS-LX310BT which is both bluetooth and a digitizer in one, and has pretty solid reviews as a starter turntable that delivers good sound quality. The fact that I could leave it near my computer to digitize while also playing records from it to connect to our speakers in the living room is a huge bonus so I think we may wind up going in that direction to start off.  But as I'm typing this I realized the LP-120 has a dual option as well, I had thought it was one or the other (Bluetooth or USB).  The dual purpose one is $300 while the Sony is $200 though.  Hmm, I suspect the AT might be the better long term purchase, yeah?  We're complete n00bs though so something plug and play like the Sony is very appealing.

Retronic

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2021, 09:13:07 PM »
Do you have a full list of the haul yet.  In all honesty I’d bet the majority had been digitized by someone- probably on here.  If you want any of them in digital format to hear ask away.  Equally if you search titles in the search box you’ll find a lot have been digitized.   I have a good run of De Wolfe but missing some of the bigger titles- some posted above.  I digitize LPs every weekend so getting them all done eventually. Been collecting library vinyl since the mid 90’s  so gathered a fair whack!

DumpsterVinyl

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2021, 09:23:47 PM »
I admit I've not yet dove into this forum all that deeply yet.  If the stuff we love has been digitized already then that certainly will save us some time.  We got a lot of records that there are, well, no record of. At least on Discogs, but honestly they don't look that interesting, mostly sound effects stuff and boring sounding things like regional musical fare, lol.

I'll do some digging to see what folks have.  It is also kind of the novelty of having a digitized recording of our vinyl specifically and the fact that, since we are new to this, these records have lots of markings and imperfections that we don't quite know yet how it will affect the playback of the records, so if we do sell them in the future it would be good to know not only how it plays, but also have a copy of it for ourselves before sending it off, but it's nice to know if our copy isn't in very good condition there are other solutions out there to listen!

kimhill

• Instagram
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2021, 10:34:03 PM »
Wow. What a story.

stackjackson

• Administrator
    • GrooveRevolution
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2021, 03:08:23 AM »
Amazing story! Thanks for sharing, and welcome to you both. Have a look around. There's lots of library music here, and much available on request.

I'd be curious to see your list of those 39 Robert Hall Productions...
| Stack |

Uvuzau

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2021, 07:58:46 AM »
AMAZING STORY

Greta

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2021, 11:39:47 AM »
What a marvel of a story. You've been so lucky to find 928 library records that a foolish threw in a dumpster!
Ok, leaving aside envy, I welcome you here on our humble community. I think you just found the right place.

Do you think it would be possible to see a list of the whole run of 928 one day?
G.

DumpsterVinyl

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2021, 03:11:41 PM »
We were planning on holding the complete list close to our vest for a little bit, but seeing as how this is an expert community, I don't see the harm in sharing it with you all here.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_v0wfggG4MQ5TAaGpRwKEd2Jweeld5mrK6FGfYmY2ko/edit?usp=drivesdk

We didn't start keeping track of cover and record quality until about 4 bags into cataloging which is why some dont have notes.

Uvuzau

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2021, 05:39:35 PM »
I just went thru your notes, and cant believe you guys stumbled upon this collection and did the hard work of writing everything down. Just awesome

DumpsterVinyl

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2021, 05:54:55 PM »
We were so amped when we found it and found the communities and how enthusiastic they were that it, in turn, made us more enthusiastic.  We also knew that if we didn't catalog this type of info we'd never be able to know what we have on our hands.  I also become a little obsessed with stuff like this.  I was once given baskets full of old silver quarters from my grandmother that she saved and I cataloged those as well obsessively, lol. 

But as I mentioned above, still need to go back to the earlier cataloged records and track their condition, but more importantly, we need to separate them a) by the label and b) alphabetize them.  If we decided ot sell and someone said "Can you send me some photos of the "High Climber" record?" I would not be able to do that quickly or efficiently.  We have these things spread across 3 different shelves/cabinets only in the order that we cataloged them (which we were both doing separately in different stacks).  It'd be like finding a needle in a haystack.

I'd also like to go back and add catalog numbers.  Didn't realize how important those were.  Would be a whole lot easier to sort the lists that way in the spreadsheet.  But I suppose I can pluck most of those from Discogs, too.

Retronic

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2021, 06:19:49 PM »
Yes catalogue are big on the library world and give info more quickly than titles to us on here most likely.