Author Topic: Help with the origins of "The Equalizer" by Sam Spence used in 1989  (Read 278 times)

Craig-UK

I wondered if any of you kind people woul dbe able to help me out with finding the origins of "The Equalizer" by Sam Spence. The track was used from 26th March 1989 - 1st April 1989 in World Championship Wrestling (WCW) but the earliest known release date I can find is from 1996 on NFL 004 - On To Victory (hxxps://www.discogs.com/Sam-Spence-On-To-Victory/release/17289349).

I have serached the NFL vinyls to no avail. The track may have been retitled and may be from another library that Sam Spence worked with. I know he has some tracks at De Wolfe and Major Records but I have not managed to find the origin or this track.

Here is a link to the track in question (The Equalizer) - http://dl.craig-uk.com/The_Equalizer_NFL_0004_00501.mp3
Also here is a recording of the track being used in 1989 - http://dl.craig-uk.com/WCWPromo.mp3

Any help towards this would be hugely appreciated.

cesser000

Re: Help with the origins of "The Equalizer" by Sam Spence used in 1989
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2021, 04:20:36 PM »
'The Equalizer' was recorded in 1987 and there were two versions of it, though the difference between the two, from what I remember, is pretty insignificant.  They are catalog numbers NFL1116 and NFL1117 in the NFL Films music catalog.  They are in-house recordings from NFL Films and not from any outside library.

I don't know the first album it appeared on.  I originally knew it from 2004's 'Autumn Thunder', but obviously your 1996 album would pre-date that.  I know there were a few NFL Music CD volumes released in the late 80's/early 90's (I believe) that had many of Spence's later tracks.  I know that 'The Equalizer' was not on the volume 3 CD, but it could have been on volume 2.

It's also entirely possible that the track was not put out on CD until 1996 - there were many classic (and much earlier) NFL Films pieces that didn't see the light of day until 'Autumn Thunder' came about, and there are still many Spence tracks from those early years that remain unreleased.

Craig-UK

Re: Help with the origins of "The Equalizer" by Sam Spence used in 1989
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 08:44:59 PM »
Thank you very much for helping in regards to the track. It is great to know it was created in 1987. I do wonder whether it is was released in some format, vinyl, reel etc for companies to use.