Author Topic: tech help needed  (Read 785 times)

Greta

• Administrator
tech help needed
« on: April 24, 2021, 09:16:29 AM »
Hi guys,
I need help with a task.

I have to set the volume of few lossless audio tracks at the same level. They come from different rips, and I need to "normalize" them, if that is the term.
I'm on a Mac machine with Audacity already installed, and Izotope X8 Advanced being installed in these hours.
Any other software suggested (if free) would be no problem for me.

I don't want to loose a single bit of quality, if it's possible, and that's why I'm here asking you guys, how to do it.

Thanks for any help.

G.

G.

Retronic

• Administrator
Re: tech help needed
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2021, 09:34:09 AM »
Izotope RX8 Advanced!  I am jealous :)

I'd love a go on the Music Rebalance.

Greta

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2021, 09:40:50 AM »
Izotope RX8 Advanced!  I am jealous :)

I'd love a go on the Music Rebalance.

Ssshhhh......I didn't buy it!
G.

Retronic

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2021, 10:46:52 AM »
I look forward to some remixes soon

Pumi

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2021, 11:28:22 AM »
Hi Greta,

With Audacity you will able to normalise tracks (effet/normalize)
Normalize amplitude to -0.5 is a good setting

If you need help ask me I will do it for you ;)

Greta

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2021, 01:11:36 PM »
Thanks Pumi.

3 questions:

- what about a normalization with the slider on 0db?
- what's the difference between "normalize" and "gain"?
- are both of them free from loss of quality?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 01:13:57 PM by Greta »
G.

Pumi

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2021, 07:31:44 PM »
- what about a normalization with the slider on 0db?

What do you mean ? manually ?

Difference between Amplify and Normalize: https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/amplify_and_normalize.html

As your tracks come from different rips, normalisation will be easier to get something homogeneous. Apply it at each tracks individually.
I suggest you to not go higher than -0.1 to avoid saturation

- are both of them free from loss of quality?

Yes, just export them at same format

Greta

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2021, 07:44:28 PM »
I meant to set the normalize amplitude to 0 db, as on iZotope is an option, but you answered already, saying not to set it higher than 0.1 to avoid saturation.

Thanks.
G.

Pumi

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2021, 07:25:21 AM »
You're Welcome G.

I'm not an expert, just some good reading on the web :)

Izotope is very good for doing restoration too

ericmivalstoothbrush

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2021, 01:39:31 PM »
Hi Greta,

I would suggest not normalizing each individual track on an album. That way every track will be equally loud, meaning the original intent of the sound will be altered. Say, for example, that the first two tracks on an album are loud rockers and you normalize them to -0.5. These two tracks are followed by a delicate, ambient track that's really quiet. If you normalize that track to -0.5 as well, it will be REALLY loud and that wasn't how it was supposed to be heard.

You could either cut and paste every track into one large file and then normalize that file to -0.5 but then you'd have to split the file to make individual tracks again. The easiest way is probably to open the loudest and/or most dynamic track in iZotope and then amplify the track using "gain" as much as you can without the track clipping. It will take some trial and error to find the best gain setting, but let's say you add a gain of +4.5 dB and your loudest track is around -0.5 in the loudest passages, then you could use that gain value for the remaining tracks as well.

ericmivalstoothbrush

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2021, 01:45:07 PM »
Wow, my reading ability is apparently really weak!  ;D I see now that you mentioned tracks from different rips. In that case the standard normalization method should work as Pumi already suggested!

Greta

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2021, 11:42:45 AM »
Wow, my reading ability is apparently really weak!  ;D I see now that you mentioned tracks from different rips. In that case the standard normalization method should work as Pumi already suggested!
Thank you Eric. Yes I meant I have to normalize volumes of different rips to make a comp.

So, the right normalize value is between 0,01 and 0,1, right?
G.

ericmivalstoothbrush

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2021, 07:28:16 PM »
Thank you Eric. Yes I meant I have to normalize volumes of different rips to make a comp.

So, the right normalize value is between 0,01 and 0,1, right?

Hi again Greta,

Normalization means you're setting a target peak level and the value should be anything less than 0. Anything above 0 dBFS will result in distortion and the sound clipping. There's a preset for maximum headroom in my version of iZotope RX and that's -0,50 dBFS, so I always use that value.

Greta

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2021, 10:25:11 PM »
Hey Eric, thanks!

My version of iZotope is RX8 Advanced, and in the "normalize" module it has a minimum of -20,0 and a maximum of 0.
I think I'll stick on -0,5 as you suggested.

You confirm I will not damage the music, right?

« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 10:29:04 PM by Greta »
G.

ericmivalstoothbrush

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2021, 11:39:04 AM »
I envy you! I'm still on RX6!  :'(

Yes, that's correct! Normalizing won't harm the music in any way as long as it's set below 0. I believe setting the target peak level to -0.5 to be a safety precaution if you plan to put the music on CD as some CD players need that extra headroom margin, but it's all unnecessary technical stuff and nothing to worry about. Just set it to -0.5 and it'll be fine!  :)