Author Topic: Audacity 'Artist' tagging question  (Read 532 times)

Retronic

• Administrator
Audacity 'Artist' tagging question
« on: March 14, 2021, 08:53:08 AM »
When tagging in Audacity I'm still typing in the 'Artist' manually rather than it being intuitive and as I type 'KE' it suggests Keith Mansfield in a drop down.  iTunes held all previous entries and it saves a lot of time.

I imagine this is doable and I just never learnt how.

Can anyone give me a tip, please?

bongo_rock

Re: Audacity 'Artist' tagging question
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 12:50:23 PM »
Hi Retro!

I am not sure how to do this, but I actually enjoy doing the tagging the "old fashioned" way. I really don't mind it, and I find it pretty meditative!

I think it's fun because it somehow brings closure to the whole preparation phase of a rip and marks the finish line of it all. :)

Retronic

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 02:11:52 PM »
Yes, I do find it really relaxing.  I like doing methodical tasks as my job is pretty mental. I’ve been ripping loads of German stuff lately and because the names and spellings are unfamiliar (plus struggling to read small print in the covers sometimes) I’ve missed this feature that I took for granted on iTunes.
I’ve just bought a new laptop and everything is lightening fast now so I’m like a machine in my spare time blasting through the archives. 

a8detective

• a8detective - YouTube
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 04:23:52 AM »
     I don't tag anything in Audacity. I split the file and export to WAV as "A1", "A2", etc. I put the WAVs into iTunes and tag them using the "intuitive" suggestions. Then I burn a copy to DVD-R as back-up and convert the tagged files to mp3 in iTunes.

However, I tag the FLACs the old-fashioned way. I convert the WAVs to FLAC with xACT and tag them in the program by hand. Usually I will cut and paste all the info from a spreadsheet I keep detailing each record. And I will copy the artists and composers from previous records in iTunes and paste them in my spreadsheet for a new record so I can keep everything consistent.

Greta

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2021, 05:07:50 AM »
I convert the WAVs to FLAC with xACT

Sorry to be a bit off-topic here, but, A8, have you ever tried XLD for conversions? I tell you just because it uses newer versions of the conversion softwares.

Examples:

xACT  -  XLD

lame mp3   3.99  -  3.100
flac            1.3.2 -  1.3.3
monkey's    3.99  -  4.11
opus           0.1.9 - 1.3.1
WavPack   4.70.0 - 5.3.0

and so son.

I don't know exactly what the gain could be, but improved algorithms are probably better?

G.

kimhill

• Instagram
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2021, 06:07:22 AM »
I use XLD constantly. Great software.

https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=XLD