Author Topic: 'non-library' preferences?  (Read 1851 times)

beccabear67

• General vintage music obsessive.
'non-library' preferences?
« on: January 11, 2021, 06:57:22 PM »
What kinds of music are library music people interested in?

I have been collecting folk LPs, British-folk, celtic gaelic and some welsh, African, Hawaiian, and Latin American for a long time.

I also have an interest in early electronic or experimental music and effects by people such as Clara Rockmore, Fred C. Judd, Daphne Oram, Maddalena Fagandini etc., also Charles Albertine and Barry Gray, but everything I have is either from copies or modern reissues via Trunk and so forth.

I was checking through some of my old transfers to see if I could find an obscure label Los Indios Tabajaras album I once did, and another one from France that was split between them and very early Los Machucambos (they recorded South American music but were based in France)... then I thought maybe nobody here would have an interest in that. Also I could offer either the raw transfers or the slightly processed de-clicked with sometimes adjusted stereo separation I burned to suit myself.

I have one long-standing 'want' in the folk area; it was a 10" album which was an early '50s Elektra release: Hally Wood - O' Lovely Appearance Of Death, I'd like to be able to hear it someday. It did come with an insert book. Even if you see it on youtube or a blog I'd be happy to know about it.

Anyway, I'll be curious to learn what library fans' other interests might be, aside from say the obvious like soundtracks or work by artists who recorded for library labels, or Horst Jankowski.

stackjackson

• Administrator
    • GrooveRevolution
Re: 'non-library' preferences?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 11:07:31 PM »
I'm moving this to General Discussion, if you don't mind. Also check out this related thread => https://librarymusicthemes.net/index.php?topic=1987.0
| Stack |

beccabear67

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 11:54:50 PM »
I don't mind at all, you could even merge with the earlier thread that I didn't find as I wasn't looking in the right place.

digdeeper

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 06:04:02 PM »
Easy Listening (mainly early 1960s to early 1970s), see my channel https://www.youtube.com/user/easysounds1970, also a lot of Brazilian / Latin, and 1960s / 1970s soundtracks.

I also used to be on the discomusic.com forum while it still existed.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 12:26:35 PM by digdeeper »

BlackwatchPlaid

• FOR REUPLOADS, PLEASE PETITION THE COMMUNITY!
    • Raw & Real Retail
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 06:46:12 AM »
I'm a big fan of Progressive Rock music outside of library. Also very big fan of Jazz and Fusion.
FOR REUPLOADS, PLEASE PETITION THE COMMUNITY!

For funky mall walkthroughs set to Library Music, be sure to watch
Raw & Real Retail
New videos every Saturday!

kimhill

• Instagram
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2021, 04:57:54 AM »
Cool YouTube channel, digdeeper! 3500+ subscribers, too. I just subscribed.

I always have a problem with the "what do you listen to" question. Seems like it would be easier to come up with a list of what I *don't* like. But I guess some of the top ones for me would be vintage R&B/funk, house, various other flavors of EDM, rare groove, downtempo, trip/hip-hop.

longjohnsilver

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2021, 05:17:48 AM »
hey Blackpaidwatch which Prog Bands do you like the most?

BlackwatchPlaid

• Raw & Real Retail
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2021, 08:08:36 AM »
hey Blackpaidwatch which Prog Bands do you like the most?
;D The classics never disappoint. Yes, ELP, King Crimson, PFM, Genesis (pre-1980), Gentle Giant, National Health, Kenso... Some new bands don't do too bad either. Moon Safari, Jaga Jazzist, Änglagård, Wobbler, they really get the spirit of the old recordings and make new classics.

Raw & Real Retail

digdeeper

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2021, 12:12:53 PM »
Cool YouTube channel, digdeeper! 3500+ subscribers, too. I just subscribed.

I always have a problem with the "what do you listen to" question. Seems like it would be easier to come up with a list of what I *don't* like. But I guess some of the top ones for me would be vintage R&B/funk, house, various other flavors of EDM, rare groove, downtempo, trip/hip-hop.

I'm thankful no-one has yet said "Pretty much everything" which is the most annoying answer ever and usually rather indicative of a clueless consumer of which there will likely be few to none on this forum anyway.

3500 is really small on the grander scale of things, but Easy is obviously very niche, and secondly I have not resorted to any cheap tactics to increase traffic. 2021 BEST RELAXING SOUNDS
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 12:18:03 PM by digdeeper »

beccabear67

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2021, 06:23:25 PM »
Thanks for the input. There was a great blog for '60s-'70s albums from Brasil, it was a real education on labels and artists and I found some great favorites through it like Jorge Ben, Nara Leao and the Tamba Trio having only known Gilberto Gil, Astrud and Joao Gilberto, Jobim and Sergio Mendes much before.

Some new bands don't do too bad either. Moon Safari, Jaga Jazzist, Änglagård, Wobbler, they really get the spirit of the old recordings and make new classics.

I'm definitely going to look into some of these new names who are relatable to us oldstylers. I got to sample some new stuff when I picked up Prog Magazine for awhile with their CD sampler with each issue, plus they would include folkier people like John Renbourne and Judy Dyble I was already into. As a Canadian I've been well aware of Rush, and I love Gentle Giant and most Yes and Genesis.

stackjackson

• Administrator
    • GrooveRevolution
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2021, 02:43:44 AM »
Thanks for the input. There was a great blog for '60s-'70s albums from Brasil, it was a real education on labels and artists and I found some great favorites through it like Jorge Ben, Nara Leao and the Tamba Trio having only known Gilberto Gil, Astrud and Joao Gilberto, Jobim and Sergio Mendes much before.

Are you referring to Balanco's sabadabada.com c. 2005 by chance?
| Stack |

BlackwatchPlaid

• Raw & Real Retail
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2021, 07:59:31 AM »
I'm glad to find some fellow prog fans on this forum! There is an unfortunate wealth of boring new prog bands that glommed onto one or another specific sound and forgot what the term meant. Those 4 I mentioned are probably the new guard, while there are various mentions throughout the last few decades as well, including...

The Flower Kings, Marillion, IQ, Magenta, Dream Theater, Ayreon, Fish, Frost, Porcupine Tree, Steven Wilson, to name a few...

Not to say that this is my preference, far from it, a lot of styles of Jazz factor into my tastes, and has so far, been a quite rewarding contribution:

Jean-Luc Ponty, Return To Forever, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Casiopea, Dixie Dregs, David Sanborn, Steve Gray, Simon Park, Keith Mansfield, Herbie Hancock, Dave Koz, Herb Alpert, Alan Hawkshaw, T-Square, Spyro Gyra

The fusion of which with modern throwback culture resulted in one of my favorite bands of all time: Vulfpeck.

This is not to ignore electronic music's contribution to my stylings. A lot of time and effort went into investigating electronic music's origins and beginnings. What developed was a love for the Berlin School electronic music that became the foundation for pretty much every other techno genre you know of. Some seminal artists in this field include:

Klaus Schulze, Tangerine Dream, Larry Fast, many other modern but less interesting examples...

Documenting the many paths through music I have taken over the years would get boring and tedious, but it has been at least rewarding. Having a preference, I think is rather limiting yourself. Lord knows what I thought was important at 35 turned out to be very not important at all...

Raw & Real Retail

beccabear67

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2021, 04:29:31 AM »
Are you referring to Balanco's sabadabada.com c. 2005 by chance?
That was one of them, it used to look like this:
https://web.archive.org/web/20060814014459/http://www.sabadabada.com/music.htm

There may've been another blog, but I did visit that one.

stackjackson

• Administrator
    • GrooveRevolution
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2021, 02:28:53 PM »
That was one of them, it used to look like this:
https://web.archive.org/web/20060814014459/http://www.sabadabada.com/music.htm

There may've been another blog, but I did visit that one.

Yes, that was Balanco's site. One and the same. I loved that site!
| Stack |

kimhill

• Instagram
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2021, 07:05:38 PM »
"…a lot of styles of Jazz factor into my tastes"

I forgot to include vintage jazz fusion (-ish) artists, which have been very important for me, incl. for DJing purposes. Since I can export text from iTunes, it's easy to produce a sample list:

Billy Cobham, Lonnie Liston Smith, Grover Washington Jr., Harvey Mason, Jack McDuff, Jean-Luc Ponty, Ramsey Lewis, Seawind, Stanley Clarke, Crusaders, Mysterious Flying Orchestra, Tom Browne, Tower of Power, Weather Report, Bob James, Chuck Mangione, Miles Davis, Dave Grusin, Deodato, George Benson, Herbie Hancock, Jeff Lorber, Pat Metheny, Rodney Franklin, Roy Ayers, Ronnie Laws, Alphonse Mouzon, among others…