Author Topic: iZotope audio clean-up software 75% off- Last day today?/"RX Elements"  (Read 1896 times)

kimhill

• Instagram
I forgot one screenshot.

Thanks again for the screenshots & insights. Very valuable.

Pumi

@greta if you have only a few clicks to remove, you can clean it manually using Interpolate (very simple)

Greta

• Administrator
Thank you Pumi,
but I really don't know how to use interpolate.
Anyway, the rip I was trying to work on, is this one, the link is still active (thanks again Heriberto).
https://librarymusicthemes.net/index.php?topic=7005.0

It has a large amount of clicks and pops, I thought I could do something with iZotope, but the reality has shown as too much complicate for me.
G.

Retronic

• Administrator
Hi Greta
I put this track through de-click which took about 10 seconds to process- these are my normal settings.
I'm interested to hear if people think anything's lost in the processing

pixeldrain.com/u/qLbdMMTn

kimhill

• Instagram

I didn't hear artifacts that I'd be able to pick out. But I have no experience A/B-ing something like this. If I knew what to look (hear) for, it might be easier to identify. Obviously the LP has a lot of issues to begin with, so it may just be a matter of choosing between deficiencies, since we never get back the original sound quality under any circumstances.

The quality of sound for vintage library varies so wildly. If all the processes- from original performance to mixing, mastering, etc. to crate-digging- are considered, I'd say reasonable post-processing workflow won't be at the top of the list. 

ericmivalstoothbrush

Hi Greta
I put this track through de-click which took about 10 seconds to process- these are my normal settings.

pixeldrain.com/u/qLbdMMTn

As kimhill wrote above, it can be hard to pinpoint any digital artifacts if you don't know what to listen for or have the unprocessed file for comparison. I know some people claim that de-clicking, even the manual kind, "dulls" the overall sound. Personally I find this to be (pardon the French) nothing but BS. Carefully done, de-clicking can work wonders without leaving any artifacts behind.

It's funny you chose this particular track, because brass can be really troublesome when it comes to de-clicking. Brass, along with synths (particularly the sawtooth wave-ish kind) and distorted electric guitars can be a real nuisance. I once tried de-clicking a Kraftwerk track from "Computerwelt" and it sounded like absolute sh*t because the software confused the sound of the synths with the actual clicks and pops and couldn't tell the difference between clicks and percussion. It all came out really distorted!

I hear a similar distorted sound in the trombone in your clip but I have no idea if it's from the de-clicking or if it's groove wear on the original record. It would be interesting to hear the unprocessed clip!  :)

Retronic

• Administrator
It’s in the link from Greta’s post above.

Lord Thames

It's funny you chose this particular track, because brass can be really troublesome when it comes to de-clicking. Brass, along with synths (particularly the sawtooth wave-ish kind) and distorted electric guitars can be a real nuisance. I once tried de-clicking a Kraftwerk track from "Computerwelt" and it sounded like absolute sh*t because the software confused the sound of the synths with the actual clicks and pops and couldn't tell the difference between clicks and percussion. It all came out really distorted!

Oh yes, bass trombones and, as you say, some synth noises, are a particular nightmare in my own restorations (why does so much of the music I like feature them?) - I get around it by making a de-clicked version and an unde-clicked version, crossfading between them whenever I reach a problem area, then merging them together - very time consuming, but it's the only way I've found that works.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 09:53:07 PM by Lord Thames »

Greta

• Administrator
Thank you Retro for trying to help.
But as I said earlier, I think I will never try a "restoration" again.
I thought it could be a good idea with some particular rips, and the software in question is good.
But you need a lot of skills and a lot of time to do a good job, and after all, I'm fully satisfied also with "poppy" rips.

Eric, if you want to compare the original rip (by Heriberto) and Retro's declicked one, here's Heriberto's rip: https://librarymusicthemes.net/index.php?topic=7005.0
G.

Pumi

@Greta try ClickRepair, very simple software, just drag and drop your files, set the automatic declick slider and that's it

The first track of the Zimbelius has a lot crackles, here is the result with ClickRepair : pixeldrain.com/u/BhQgPhqr

ericmivalstoothbrush

I've now A/B'd Retronic's de-clicked version with Heriberto's original upload and there is an audible difference. You may not be able to hear it on laptop speakers, but it's quite distinct on headphones. I believe the software has problem separating clicks and pops from the actual sound of the trombone. There are overtones missing from the trombone and in places you can hear a "bubbly", distorted sound. Again, brass is often extremely problematic so maybe it was an unfortunate choice of track!  :)

As can be seen in the screenshots below, the clicks look very much like the sound of the trombone (or vice versa).

The raw file:

The declicked file:

N.B: Please note that the above is not criticism of any kind, it's merely me, an amateur, disussing the pros and cons of declicking and how to get the best results. I hope I don't sound like some pompous know-it-all!  :-[   :)

Retronic

• Administrator
No, it's good to know.   I'll keep tinkering away.

Greta

• Administrator
Thank you Pumi and Eric.
G.

neowave

Hi, I haven't visited the forum for a long time.  ;D

I use Izotope RX full version for many years. I could also show you how to clean the audio, you can send me in private messages a Flac recording from vinyl from one to five minutes long, but with hum or clicks, I will show you what I did to get the result. The final result will be a file cleaned of hum and clicks.

Check declick and enchance examples
1967 Peter Reno - Submarines (Jazz; Stage & Screen; Soundtrack; Space-Age; Easy Listening) and
1973 Marcello Giombini - Alla Turca (Electronic; Stage & Screen; Easy Listening; Experimental; Ambient)

https://mega.nz/folder/B44yWaDY#-UncmlWetEUCnZ0hNei4Tg
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 12:49:32 PM by neowave »

Retronic

• Administrator
I could do with some pointers on removing general surface noise - although it’s not the end of the world in all honesty.  I can get rid of clicks and hun not really an issue but as tracks fade out I sometimes get a bit of surface noise.