Author Topic: Dumpster Vinyl: The Podcast  (Read 2554 times)

Mr

• Administrator
Re: Dumpster Vinyl: The Podcast
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2021, 09:59:08 AM »
Thanks for these, they're really fun :)

I'm loving the fact that by episode #2 you're already getting into the groove of things and using a cue for intro music and transition. Very much looking forward to the Nick Bantock episode, exciting stuff!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 11:34:05 AM by Mr »

Col Wolfe

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2021, 03:58:47 PM »
Thanks for these, they're really fun :)

I'm loving the fact that by episode #2 you're already getting into the groove of things and using a cue for intro music and transition. Very much looking forward to the Nick Bantock episode, exciting stuff!

Agree.

Also loving the fact presenters are far from hardened library fans so hearing about these great records from a fresh perspective is much fun.
www spokerecords co uk

Mr

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2021, 04:41:44 PM »
... I just couldn't help but take your mentions of not finding any info on Studio One as a challenge, so I had a look around to see if I could piece something together for you.

Going by the address, I found quite a lot of mentions of various companies residing here - let's take a look:

A notice in the August 15th, 1970 issue of "Cash Box" announces the opening of the studio in Chicago:

- It seems your Mad Men quip wasn't too far off the mark!

An earlier ad in the Aug. 3rd, 1970 issue of "Broadcasting" mentions this as the address of not just Studio One, but also the Chicago Broadcast Circle, :

- who, according to an ad in a later issue of the magazine, were still residing there as of June 1973:

An ad in a Jul. 1972 issue of Billboard list this as the address of the Chicago Radio Syndicate:

- though they later moved to East Oak:

(Billboard, February 9th, 1974)

Now, you may already have connected the dots here yourselves, but as for the company you mentioned phoning up - let's call them "J-S Audio" for now, as not to attract undue attention
 - seems to be the company of the late, err.. "John Smith", Sr., a well-established vocal coach, advertisement annoucer and co-owner of the River North-based "Audio One":

hxxps://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2006-05-31-0605310150-story.html
(- this is also the person mentioned in the first notice above)

- Now, it doesn't take too much mental gymnastics to note the similarity in name between Studio One and Audio One, and a comment on the digital obituary of Smith, Sr. confirms the connection:

According to their website and various contemporary online sources, "J-S Audio Inc." seems to be headed by his son John Smith, Jr. (who may very well be the person you spoke to), and is according to their website running as a similar business, doing sound mixing, voice-overs, radio productions, etc.

A probably unrelated, but nonetheless fun detail:
a Dec. 1967 notice in "Cash Box" magazine notes E. Chestnut as the address of Bill Traut's "Dunwich Productions", who notably produced Coven's first album, which lists the address inside the gatefold of its original issue - it's the text on the red part, top right:

"Satanic Mass"
(Note: To the best of our knowledge, this is the first Black
Mass to be recorded, either in written words or in audio. It
is as authentic as hundreds of hours of research in every
known source can make it. We do not recommend its use
by anyone who has not thoroughly studied Black Magic
and is aware of the risks and dangers involved. For fur-
ther information and source material, write: Coven, in
care of Dunwich Productions, 25 East Chestnut, Chicago,
Illinois 60611)

It's perhaps not that interesting, but I hope this gives you something to go on :)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 04:53:53 PM by Mr »

stackjackson

• Administrator
    • GrooveRevolution
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2021, 03:12:40 AM »
Brilliant sleuthing, Mr. A joy to read. Thanks!
| Stack |