Author Topic: Original sources of Sound Ideas archive catalog  (Read 1344 times)

KPM Lover

Original sources of Sound Ideas archive catalog
« on: November 02, 2020, 06:37:29 PM »
Hi, I wanted to know the origin of the songs in the Sound Ideas archive catalog. The songs were recorded between the 50s and 70s. The apmnut user also asked about this same catalog and got no answer. Like him, I believe it was not Albert Marlowe, a pseudonym of Brian Nimens, founder of Sound Ideas, who composed the songs that belong to this catalog. I believe that those who made the songs in this catalog were American, British and French composers from the 50s, 60s and 70s. I also believe that the names of the compositions were changed. Can someone tell where they came from? I wait for the answer.

Lord Thames

Re: Original sources of Sound Ideas archive catalog
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 09:03:25 PM »
I am rather intrigued by this - one of the tracks (Orchestrated News Magazine Fanfare on Classic Showbiz Segues 2) clearly features Kenny Clare on drums, which could point to it being a British recording, possibly made in a German studio.  The brass sounds a lot like Syd Dale too, but I've got no idea where it might have come from (possibly recycled Synchro-Fox?)  I suspect Albert Marlowe didn't have an awful lot to do with it, anyway!

apmnut

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 12:49:33 AM »
I just found out one of these tracks is from Conroy originally, namely "Wandering Whimsical Bridge", which is the last part of Wilfred Burns' "Jaunty Walk" from BMLP 028!

KPM Lover

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2020, 01:30:09 AM »
Thank you apmnut for the information of one of the songs. So it is proven that the songs were not composed by Albert Marlowe. Now I have a question, the rights to the Conroy label are from EMI Production Music, but how did Sound Ideas use a song from this catalog even though it doesn't have the rights?

apmnut

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2020, 01:37:45 AM »
Thank you apmnut for the information of one of the songs. So it is proven that the songs were not composed by Albert Marlowe. Now I have a question, the rights to the Conroy label are from EMI Production Music, but how did Sound Ideas use a song from this catalog even though it doesn't have the rights?
I.... don't know how that even happened. It's almost like that one Conroy album that issued a bunch of Synchro-Fox Hawksworth cues.

KPM Lover

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2020, 11:09:26 PM »
The BMLP 28 album also contains the song "Drum Patterns - Conga", which on the Sound Ideas website is called "Latin Drum Beat with Tambourine". This song was composed by Wilfred Burns.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 04:00:15 PM by KPM Lover »

KPM Lover

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2021, 10:19:39 PM »
The BMLP 28 album also contains the songs "Crocodile Tear (a)" and "Crocodile Tear (c)", which on the Sound Ideas website is called "Comic Down in the Dumps Movie Theme" and "Down in the Dumps Finale Movie Theme". The songs was composed by Wilfred Burns.

KPM Lover

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2021, 01:37:06 AM »
I discovered two more songs, one called "Vista", composed by Wilfred Burns, from Conroy's BMLP 28 album. On the Sound Ideas website it is called "Sentimental Romantic Movie Theme". And another one called "Dynamite", composed by David McAllister, a pseudonym of Doug Wood, from Omnimusic's album OMLP 102. On the Sound Ideas website it is called "Cool Urban Bridge"

KPM Lover

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2021, 04:54:14 PM »
I discovered another song. It's called "Kickin' The Habit (b)", composed by Syd Dale, originally released on Synchrofox's SF 1016. On the Sound Ideas website, the song is called "Orchestrated News Magazine Transition Fanfare". This song is a short version of the song "Kickin' The Habit (a)", which was re-released on the CPM Archive label. On the CPM Archive label, this song is called "Check It Out".
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 04:55:57 PM by KPM Lover »

apmnut

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2021, 11:44:39 PM »
Nice discoveries, KPM!
Really baffling how they got away with releasing those British cues.