Author Topic: Dumpster Vinyl: The Podcast  (Read 1224 times)

DumpsterVinyl

Dumpster Vinyl: The Podcast
« on: March 03, 2021, 02:43:14 AM »
We started a podcast! 

https://www.soundcloud.com/dumpstervinyl

Apologies if we completely whiffed on sharing accurate information on our first episode. We spent the first episode sharing our story, in all its full detail. 

Our goal in the future is to cover an individual album each episode by covering information about the composer, label, and, if we find any, the record itself (don't be surprised if I rely on some of you for these tidbits, lol).  Followed by listening in full, with reactions and commentary from us (and whatever guests we bring on in the future), followed by a discussion about the record, overall, all from a complete novice's perspective. Will it be good?  We don't know, but we hope it'll be fun. 

This forum has been a massive help so thank you for all that you have done and provided for us to get this going. 

stackjackson

• Administrator
    • GrooveRevolution
Re: Dumpster Vinyl: The Podcast
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 02:56:42 AM »
Cool. Looking forward to listening to your first show! Congrats on getting this up and running.
| Stack |

Retronic

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 08:58:14 AM »
That was really enjoyable. I had a listen getting ready for work.  The best bit for me was you guys describing your first impressions; the descriptions on the back, the non-descript covers etc and the whole mystery of them.  It reminded me of the magic of when itís new and unknown that you lose when you have real familiarity with something.  It was great to hear the detail of the story too. 

If you do an episode on Ingmans Big Beat itís worth checking out Death Wish from 1974 which has a scene with Bronson going into a New York bar or diner and a track from Big Beat is heard playing. 

Greta

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 09:30:25 AM »
Nice to hear your story directly from your voices guys. Well done.
G.

Silverrider85

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 09:42:26 AM »
Cool, so great to hear the story, nicely done! Glad to hear that new souls are still being bitten by the library music virus (the only thing that is good to be bitten by, really). You guys are in for a treat!

Your Pal Doug

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2021, 12:06:15 PM »
I can not wait to hear your podcast. I heard the beginning, I'm originally from Chicago, and can picture the whole finding of the records in my mind.
Those records were so lucky to find you two.
Thanks for sharing your story as well as your music.
How exciting!!

Your pal,

Doug

DumpsterVinyl

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2021, 02:09:49 PM »
Thank you for all the kind words everyone. It was so much fun to tell this story and we're excited to make more episodes. Definitely going to raid the forum for information on where these songs popped up whenever we cover an album. We want to provide as much information and knowledge about the music as possible, but obviously we don't know much of anything and you guys know so much. So this forum has been really invaluable in the decision to make the podcast because we feel like there's so much that can be talked about. Thank you for listening and for all the kind words. In the meantime I'll keep ripping what we got, lol.

stackjackson

• Administrator
    • GrooveRevolution
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 02:41:03 PM by stackjackson »
| Stack |

niknak

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2021, 08:02:41 PM »
Loved the podcast, so glad you found us here. Will look forward to the next one.

DumpsterVinyl

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2021, 08:46:02 PM »
I just submitted it through Stitcher, TuneIn, and Spotify.  iTunes coming soon (I hate iTunes). 

roope

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2021, 06:20:09 AM »
Woah, such a fantastic story you have! Great idea to start a blog, the first episode was a fun listen. What a great journey you'll have there!

I don't agree with the "more valuable the better music" though! There's so much great music on the cheapest discs too. Many can be valuable also because one of the tracks has been sampled somewhere famous. Or the album has one killer track. There's still so many sleepers out there waiting to be found.

Thanks again for sharing your story and treasures!

DumpsterVinyl

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2021, 03:18:28 PM »
Woah, such a fantastic story you have! Great idea to start a blog, the first episode was a fun listen. What a great journey you'll have there!

I don't agree with the "more valuable the better music" though! There's so much great music on the cheapest discs too. Many can be valuable also because one of the tracks has been sampled somewhere famous. Or the album has one killer track. There's still so many sleepers out there waiting to be found.

Thanks again for sharing your story and treasures!

I agree that there's a lot of great gems on the cheaper albums to be sure, but I guess I should have provided context when I said that. basically what I guess I was trying to say is that whenever we found an album that had a higher dollar value in its resale price, the music on that album tended to be a lot more accessible than some of the more niche cheaper albums. but of course that's not to say the cheaper ones aren't great. I know I've talked about it a lot, but I really loved New Outlook and that thing sells for like 10 bucks or less. In the end it's all subjective, but I was mostly saying that as a way of figuring out which records in our collection were worth listening to first and as we listen to them we realize that the music was just really good on them.

On a side note, I think our next episode is going to be one that we know we can get a lot of information on because there's a lot of information out there about it, but we're going to do the first Electric Banana record!

Any tidbits you all know that isn't already public knowledge

Retronic

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2021, 03:31:11 PM »
Youíll have already click these facts- Most famous for its use in Dawn of the Dead but the value comes as itís The Pretty Things going session. 

DumpsterVinyl

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2021, 03:41:19 PM »
Holy crap, I didn't know they were used in Dawn of the Dead!  I thought Goblin did the music for Dawn of the Dead?

*looks up Dawn of the Dead music*

Wow.  I had no idea there was an incidental album.  I'm a massive DOTD fan, I can't believe I didn't know this information.  This makes it so much more amazing to me, lol.